New(ish) Boardman Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
For two weeks I have been checking eBay and Gumtree daily for a near new 1X Hybrid. This morning one came up about 80 miles away so I exploited the light traffic and collected it.

Why the post? Firstly to show it off, secondly pass on my experience and thirdly ask a couple of questions:

Show it off: see pictures, done.

My experience: I paid £320 for a model that is selling in Halfords for £800 today. It is approx 6 months old, has had 2 owners who decided it wasn't for them, has a few little nicks, mould ridge down centre of back tyre just still visible, came without bell/reflectors/manual, wheels are true, brakes perfect, crank is straight. In terms of wear, it's got 99% of it's useful life left yet I paid 40% of the new price. When searching I found plenty of even newer bikes with an original purchase receipt/box for about 60% of thier new price. So, if anybody is looking for a commuter then I strongly recommend the "near new" principal.

Questions: as you can see in the picture, when in 2nd gear the chain rubs on the side of the first gear - is this normal or does the gear cable need adjustment? Also, going by the picture of the rear tyre how many miles would people estimate it to have done?

Cheers and HNY.
IMG_20200101_205450036.jpg

IMG_20200101_212030732.jpg

IMG_20200101_202909118~2.jpg

IMG_20200101_183550223.jpg
IMG_20200101_200118576.jpg

IMG_20200101_194421967.jpg

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A lot of the bikes I pick up have hardly been ridden. And at this time of the year Christmas bills arrive - the bike which was bought on a whim and hardly used is suddenly sold cheaply to pay those looming bills.

For this bike it'll need some adjustment after the first few weeks as cables stretch a bit. I'm guessing that's not been done. It looks like it's been ridden for <100 miles.

DSK

Fair play to you! Great looking bike and looks like its going to serve you well.

I agree with looking at used first as you can get something great without having to paying the new price. I'm comfortable putting the money in the hand of one that needs it, perhaps to fund a bike more suitable to them or put food on the table for the family.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The chain does mark the next sprocket at the back, so don't worry.

I got a slightly shop soiled Boardman Pro FS Mountain Bike for £1000. New was £1600.

It's been a great bike.

Enjoy

OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Boardmans get some stick but I loved mine and only sold it to fund my first drop bar bike.
Only negative I have about them is that you dont get much for your money when buying new. I nearly bought a Forme Repton 1 because of this. I put the Boardman at the top of the list because my old bike is the same type, just lacked the Disk Brakes.

OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
In answer to your questions, a matter of adjustment and 98.5 miles.
Yes. Its as if one of the previous owners has adjusted the gear cable to remove slack but they have turned the adjuster too much and the cable is now too tight thus forcing the chain to rub on the larger gear. Ill slacken it off by a turn before I leave for work and see if that makes a difference. The gear shifting is perfect though, as you would expect on a bike like that.

Nibor

Bewildered
Yes. Its as if one of the previous owners has adjusted the gear cable to remove slack but they have turned the adjuster too much and the cable is now too tight thus forcing the chain to rub on the larger gear. Ill slacken it off by a turn before I leave for work and see if that makes a difference. The gear shifting is perfect though, as you would expect on a bike like that.
I would er on the side of caution and adjust it a quarter turn at a time.

Top Bottom