New Jaguar Type 01 - love it or loathe it?

What's your opinion?

  • Like

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Loathe

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Ambivalent

    Votes: 13 43.3%

  • Total voters
    30
  • This poll will close: .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The front and rear are awful.
Some tweaks and they could have had a winner, Instead they've stuck an SUV front end on it, and borrowed the kids pencil from Tesla used on the Cybertruck
 

nogoodnamesleft

Senior Member
It's a weird thing but many EVs (particularly this Jaguar) with the blanked out front radiator grill remind me of Neo in The Matrix when his mouth becomes sealed shut (in the scene where he is being interrogated by the "Agent").

I always feel a lack of inovative design in that they all stick with the ICE bodywork design and just blank out panels that are no longer needed. I have a nagging feeling that something interesting could happen were they to take a few big steps back and start from scratch rather than just fitting batteries and electric motor to existing body designs.
 

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Looks wierd. A long bonnet is necessary with a lovely silky-smooth inline 6 or V12, but seems pointless when you have heavy batteries that you want to distribute nice and evenly, and a small motor that it no way is as long as a 6.

Worried that there has been a fight between engineering (doesn't need to look like that) and marketing (Jaguars have always had a long, sleek bonnet - we need to recapture the spirit of the E-type). And marketing threatened to throw their toys out of the pram and so won.
 

oxoman

Über Member
Don't no about the cybertruck thing but the upper rear looks a bit like the old lotus europa/eclat back ends. The rear looks like a hideous central heating radiator and the front looks like its overdosed on steroids. However, 1 good point is the range and power / speed, sadly pointless with EU in car gimmickery that stops you speeding etc.
 

Gunk

Guru
Location
Oxford
I’m on the fence, you can’t keep banging out rehashes of your old hits, in the end you have to innovate and be radical, in fairness it is a completely original design, there is nothing else like it on the road, and although a massive gamble which probably contributed to him leaving JLR, Gerry McGovern rarely gets it wrong.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
JLR 's MD has said they want to be "bold and disruptive.".

He needs a reality check. They want to be trying to make a profit for their shareholders by selling cars, not arsing about with vaguely trendy non -commercial distractions.

Honestly, someone has turned the nonsense control up to 11.
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
It's not at all relevant to me so I remain unconcerned by any of it.

I feel no allegiance to / sympathy for the company while this seems a bold, all-or-nothing gamble to fully immerse the brand in a future defined by things I find entirely unpalatable and want no part of.
 

nogoodnamesleft

Senior Member
in fairness it is a completely original design, there is nothing else like it on the road
(my bold highlighting)
There might be a reason for that. But I doubt sales will tell us as I suspect that for it's market the "Jaguar" badge and widely known price are the main reasons most will be sold (ie "status symbol", Loadsamoney)
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
JLR 's MD has said they want to be "bold and disruptive.".

He needs a reality check. They want to be trying to make a profit for their shareholders by selling cars, not arsing about with vaguely trendy non -commercial distractions.

Honestly, someone has turned the nonsense control up to 11.

As is the prevailing trend though; no?

Smacks of "everyone else is on the blag and if you can't beat them, join them". An "interesting" choice to go fully electric when the momentum behind its popularity appears to be turning in many parts of the world.
 
Top Bottom