new job; what should i do?

should i serve notice now?

• yes

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • no, wait for the checks

Votes: 27 96.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Passport is usually just to confirm that you are legally allowed to work in the UK, if born here I’d assume a birth certificate is ok too (plus another corroborative piece like your expired passport).
why not contact the HR dept and ask?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Passport is usually just to confirm that you are legally allowed to work in the UK, if born here I’d assume a birth certificate is ok too (plus another corroborative piece like your expired passport).
why not contact the HR dept and ask?
i let them know but thus far have had no response. i'll be working for a government contractor so no doubt they'll want to be thorough...

Hmmm. Do you need the passport for the actual day to day work ? Unusual, well to me, that you can only provide one specific proof of ID and no other options. Surely birth certificate will be more than sufficient

both references have gone in, so hopefully the checks won't find some criminal conviction or financial irregularity that will be news to me 🤞

let's just say my email client has been refreshed many times today 😉
Without asking what the job is my Lad joined the Prison service about 3 yrs ago, 'vetting ' took over 3 months.

He was 18, lived at home and only ever had the current apprenticeship so very little to check.
I wouldn't pack the existing job until you have it 'in writing ' so to speak.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@shep SWMBO's job - or rather the one of three that's in a 'prison hospital' - took 3 months as well.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Without asking what the job is my Lad joined the Prison service about 3 yrs ago, 'vetting ' took over 3 months.

He was 18, lived at home and only ever had the current apprenticeship so very little to check.
I wouldn't pack the existing job until you have it 'in writing ' so to speak.
my eldest works in parliament for a senior front-bench politician. her checks didn’t take that long although getting the security pass for the palace of westminster estate did take a few weeks to come her way once she started.

your lad may have had no financial history, which means the checks have to do more than just check experian. my daughter had a phone contract and credit card from her days at uni…

my eldest works in parliament for a senior front-bench politician. her checks didn’t take that long although getting the security pass for the palace of westminster estate did take a few weeks to come her way once she started.

your lad may have had no financial history, which means the checks have to do more than just check experian. my daughter had a phone contract and credit card from her days at uni…
Probably right, he had nothing.

Didn't think of that.

Kajjal

Guru
Be careful with the vetting, a several years ago mine took only a few weeks as it was prioritised through. Others were waiting many weeks for the same. It can be a bit random and if you respond quickly to questions and additional requests it goes more smoothly.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i’ll be working as a consultant to help businesses and government departments improve their digital services. the new employer reckons that the checks don’t take long in their experience, so i’m hopeful that i should be able to sign contract by the end of the week…

Vetting for Nuclear stations took 3 months, security clearance for MOD took about same

Top Bottom