New lawnmower required - recommendations please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Moving house on Thursday, and I'm going to need a new lawnmower. My 20 year old petrol Fly is beyond economic repair. I started Googling and I became overwhelmed by choice, there's gazillions of brands making gazillions of models. Help!

Fairly small 'lawn' (*I'll come back to that) maybe 400 square metres, plus a couple of other side bits. Needs to be petrol.

Make? Webb, Mountfield, Honda, Ryobi, plus about a dozen others I'd not heard of before. I'm guessing most are made in China and might be the same model rebranded.

I'm guessing about 20" cut, or so?

Rotary I think. Self propelled?

Engine size? Honda? Briggs & Stratton? Any other?

Electric or cord pull start?

Plastic deck? Metal? Pressed steel? Aluminium?

No need for stripes.

Discuss and recommend please. Thanks.

*To describe it as lawn is being more than kind, it's sort of bumpy, soft, green stuff. Rabbits seem to be at home eon it. Mixture of meadow grass, moss and lawn type grass. It's never going to be a lawn.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
More rabbits needed. Shouldn't be too difficult. :okay:

If you go for a metal casing go for self propelled as they are heavy and hard work. The self propeller makes life easy to push until the cord breaks!

Slick

Guru
Mountfield for me, although if your lawn is as rough as you describe I would rotate the lot, spread a couple of ton of sand and start again. Obviously just projecting what I wish I did instead oh hollow tineing every year.

https://www.mountfieldlawnmowers.co.uk/

Good choice of working dog though. :okay:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I replaced an elderly Briggs and Stratton powered Stiga mower a couple of years ago. Replacement is a Mountfield S461. The old mower was a pig to start, the new one starts first pull every time and uses half the petrol. It can be used with a grass collector or a mulching plate, invariably it is used with the latter. Purchased from my LLS it came fully assembled with a full tank of petrol.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
The cheapest you can get brand new in Argos or Supermarket. Then when it breaks A couple of years later there is no dilemma on whether to repair it or not and it gets given away ideally for spares if not recycling

figbat

Slippery scientist
No love for Hayter? I have a Harrier that is at least 20 years old and starts first pull through the summer and maybe 2nd or 3rd after the winter break. It’s a B&S motor that is criminally abused and ignored and it still goes like a train. Self-propelled always.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
There's a problem with that. I've got a dog. A lurcher. I think the rabbits will be moving out.
Well if it's anything like my lurcher, give it a week and there won't be any grass. Zoomies see's great clods of turf flying around, we pretty much have a figure 8 in what's left of our grass...
The offender

Top Bottom