New levels of Scumminess encountered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On Monday, in broad daylight, some pondlife entered my son’s work carpark and, using a saw, removed/stole the catalytic converter from his Toyota Verso.

He probably got a few quid for it at some dodgy scrapyard, whereas it’s cost me £370 to get it fixed.

It’s taken a few days for this act of depravity to fully worm it’s way into my conscience, but I’m now feeling pretty angry about it.

I’m starting to have dreams about catching someone in the act of commiting a similar act.

It’s enough to make me want to go and live on a remote island somewhere, knowing that scum like this walk amoung us.

Sigh. Deep breath.

I feel better for getting this off my chest, thanks for listening. :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
It was a fairly common problem a while back particually if you had a larger vehicle, they can be worth a good few quid even scrap.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You think that's scummy? Most nights I go to read a book over a quiet pint. I seem to have started something, because over recent months several other people have started turning up with books, all tending to sit in the same area of the pub. T'other night when I arrived - on my crutches, following my recent flying adventure - there was only one good chair-under-a-light left. I went to order my pint, and headed back towards the table, clearly heading for that seat. But the nice barman who was bringing my pint over put it on the other side of the table, and before I could shift it, a 'fellow' reader - knowing exactly what he was doing - nipped past and grabbed the seat. What kind of person deliberately exploits another person's disability to jump the queue?

(And no, I didn't confront him. But I gave him a few steely glares. That'll learn 'im.)

Having said which, the cat theft is also, as you say, scumminess of the first order.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
It was a fairly common problem a while back particually if you had a larger vehicle, they can be worth a good few quid even scrap.

Yeah. This happened in the Fengate area of Peterborough. Apparently, it was very common in this area back around 2013.

The problem is, I can’t think of any way of ensuring it doesn’t happen again? It would surprise me if they’re waiting for the car to show up again with a brand new Cat fitted.

U

User169

A colleague had his steering wheel and airbags stolen. The police told him that having happened once, it would likely happen again. Sure enough, a month later his replacement steering wheel and airbags were stolen.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I understand it's the higher prices being offered for the metals inside that have triggered this recent rise in thefts.
Short while ago I had the window lifters stolen from our Toyota parked in the compound.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A pal of mine got in the car and started it up, but sensed something was a bit odd.

Some scrote had nicked the bloody windscreen !

And another mate noticed the bonnet on his car wasn't closed, then opened it to slam it properly and noticed that some git had nicked the top half of his carburettor.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A colleague had his steering wheel and airbags stolen. The police told him that having happened once, it would likely happen again. Sure enough, a month later his replacement steering wheel and airbags were stolen.
Maybe he should try this work around ;

18upo0y5haw3ujpg (1).jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Of all things, I've had a 'keyhole' cover stolen off my car - it's keyless entry except for an 'emergency' keyhole on the passenger side under a 'cover' - still sets the alarm off.

Was £10 for a piece of plastic then another £15 for the paint to colour code it.

Top Bottom