New lowracer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chonker

Veteran
I think I might have jumped in the deep end with this one, it's the first recumbent bike (I had a trike a few years back) I've "ridden", I use the term loosely as I've fallen off it more times than the the crank has rotated so far! I did manage to get started and up to speed today, no directional control at all though, can just about keep it within the width of a 2 lane road!

Glad I kept my old set of platform pedals, it's going to be a while until I'm comfortable enough to put my clipless pedals on I think.

7389192788_8dcea14274_c.jpg
IMGP1080 by The Nth, on Flickr

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ruddy heck!! I can see that being...erm...interesting to learn on.
Once you've got the knack, though, it's gonna fly.
I'm actually feeling scared just looking at it.

HovR

Über Member
That looks like the sort of thing that should pop out of the bat-mobile when he's stuck in traffic! Nice bike!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Wow. Just wow !

I cant make out if you have a dog or a super fantastic machine ?

Im not one for recumbents though I love it. Is it finished ? I mean it has no padded seat, of what looks fantastic.

Another question though. Why do recumbents have the gears on the rear wheel ? Surely the gears would be best placed on the front wheel making less chain / weight / safe / and would look so much better ?

HovR

Über Member
One question though. Why do recumbents have the gears on the rear wheel ? Surely the gears would be best placed on the front wheel making less chain / weight / safe / and would look so much better ?

There are some recumbents that are driven by the front wheel, however to do this either the cranks need to turn with the wheel to keep the chain line straight, or steering is impeded

It's swings and roundabouts. Each type of drive has it's own merits and downfalls, so really it is user preference.

starhawk

Two things came to my mind seeing it 1. You have to wash your pants frequently, at least the right leg. 2. As the chain goes right over the front wheel doesn't that impair the steering? can that be the reason that you have "no directional control at all" :hyper:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I want a go! Jesus Christ, that's one Mother of a machine. I've had a quick look at Velokrafts site, and I'm guessing that the lack of rrp means that if you have to ask, then you can't afford it?:thumbsup:

I though I'd taken a gamble by buying a Bacchetta Strada as my first 'bent, but hats off to you for going for such a machine.You're either very brave, very :hyper: , or very :wacko:.

A serious word of warning though. I have dual sided flat/clip pedals, and the flat side is pretty slippy in the wet. It's not so bad on a highracer, but on lowracers, if your foot slips, you're foot/leg will be bent backwards pretty violently, especially at the speed your machine looks capable of.

I only use the flat side at walking speed or when I know I'm going to stop and put my feet down.......I'm assuming you'd use your hands to balance when stopped, so why not use the much safer spds?

Good luck with the learning curve. I found mine pretty easy to ride, but it was a good 100 miles before I felt properly confident setting off in heavy traffic, and uphill starts still worry me. I suppose a lowracer is easier to set off (using hands) but a bit wobblier when on the go?

OP
OP
Chonker

Chonker

Veteran
I think :wacko:! . The lack of steering lock is a bit of an issue, although not really the reason for the lack of directional control it does mean if I get leant over too far there's not enough lock to get it upright again.

At the moment I wouldn't clip in (I usually use spds) because when I get a wobble on, which can happen when going reasonably quick, I can get leant over past the point of no return and then I need to put a foot down to skid to a stop rather than sliding on my side or destroying my hands.

I'll try and sort out a video next time I get the chance to have a go, I'm sure it'll be hilarious! At the moment I've not got nearly enough control to play with the traffic. I've only ridden it up and down the industrial estate where I work on a sunday afternoon when everything's quiet so far ;)

Oh and no seat padding because I've found it comfy enough without so far :smile:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
That looks great.

I've only ever ridden one low-down recumbent (not that I'm experienced with any variety) and it wasn't a low as that. Five minutes of veering from one curb to the other, occasionally bumping over the grass verge and stopping every time there was a tiny incline.

One day...

Top Bottom