New Mamma Mia film..... anybody been to see it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I watched the first one multiple times with the ex and my 3 kids ...
Guess I just don't really like the 'modern musical' very much. "Sunshine On Leith" should be eradicated from the collective consciousness ... great music, imprisoned in a terrible, terrible film.
As they say.....each to his own. Me and Mrs Dave really enjoyed that film.

screenman

Legendary Member
As they say.....each to his own. Me and Mrs Dave really enjoyed that film.

I did as well.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Cor.

CC really has pulled out the curmudgeon stops with this one. I'm proud to say that we went on Monday night (half-full cinema in Croydon, no dancing in the aisles) and loved it. The B sides mostly used in this film are not as good as the A sides used in the first, but still extremely well crafted, and better than most of what I've had inflicted on me from the 21st century. Ulvaeus and Anderssen knew their music - it's chock-full of borrowings from song styles of the 20th century, the tunes are extremely strong and the harmonies stand comparison with the best songwriters of earlier centuries. I'm slightly too young for Abba the first time around, and didn't really get pop music anyway, so coming to the songs reasonably fresh is a revelation.

The plot is as flimsy as a cheesecloth smock, but anyone who has been to opera is used to that. The set pieces are spectacular, with just the right amount of choreographic detail, and everyone on set is clearly having a ball. And it's camp as fark and knows it's not a great work of art - but doesn't give a toss that there will be snooty cyclists lining up to say they aren't going to see it. I could have done with a slightly shorter and less schmaltzy last 20 minutes (it's a paean to the inexplicable - to me - joys of parenthood), but that's my problem.
I also enjoyed the fact that like the first film it makes no attempt at all to disguise the age of the actors. These are humans, growing old and loving it. Brosnan's face has more lines than the London Underground, and Firth is paunchy and jowly. It's a shock to start with, given the fact that every other production lays on the makeup with a trowel.

Speaking of which, Cher's set piece. Oh my God. She can deliver a song. As a review I read said: it's as if the writers had been given a challenge to construct a plot in which Waterloo and Fernando make sense. And they do.

Get slightly drunk, grab a friend, suspend all notion of high quality meaningful art or social commentary and, like all the best musicals from Mozart to Rogers and Hammerstein, relax into the music and emotion.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'm going with Mrs A_T on Friday: saw first one- it was a decent plot, some good bits, some awful bits [Brosnan's 'singing'] and in places the contrived story/ song tie-ins. 'Slipping through my Fingers' was poignant as Miss A_T was going off to university around the time it came out... sniff.

Well we went, but truly wish I hadn't... Mrs A_T loved it so claiming 5th Amendment.

Last edited:

irw

Quadricyclist
I went this evening with Mrs IRW- I thought the main storyline was pretty good, and well executed. Unfortunately it was let down hugely by some of the sub-plots that felt very shoe-horned in, just to make the songs fit in. The border control guy was the best bit IMO...!

Top Bottom