New mobile phone laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It seems the law has been updated and from midnight last night the fine is £200 plus six points for touching your phone while driving .
Drivers that have passed their test within two years of getting caught will be banned from driving and have to resit the test and will carry the six points forward to the new licence .
Personally i think the latter part should apply to all drivers not just newer ones .

I agree, it should apply to all.
I doubt it will make any difference around here. The number of people I see with phones under their noses or held to their ears is frightening.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
there is also nothing special about the new driver penalty. That happens whenever a new driver gets 6 points, regardless of the offence

That's true but I think they're emphasising this part as it's such a widespread offence, probably more so than any other single act that would automatically attract six points.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I quite liked the suggestion that the fines should be returned to the relevant police forces to fund further traffic police... This would get the usual suspects squealing like stuck pigs - but this really is an idiot tax.
Yep. All it would need is a plain clothes cycle or motorcycle police officer with a camera riding up and down a road well known for this crime and I suspect it'd quickly at least cost nothing. Let's have automatic red light and yellow box cameras back too, on the same basis. It's time to start collecting this idiocy tax.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not a crime. It's an offence.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not recordable for HO reporting purposes. Therefore, its an offence, not a crime.

It's only an administrative distinction really. From the perspective of the chump on his phone it makes no difference.

Drago

Legendary Member
And all the notifiable offences are....

(i'll give you a clue - it rhymes with 'crimes')

The two distinctions coincide, doubtless deliberately so.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's not recordable for HO reporting purposes. Therefore, its an offence, not a crime.

It's only an administrative distinction really. From the perspective of the chump on his phone it makes no difference.
I think that's confusing police/Home Office jargon/processes with the real meanings. Even the fellow travellers of Mr Loophole acknowledge motoring offences are crimes.

Top Bottom