New mobile phone laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have the answer. It came to me last night when I saw a news report about the possibility that men(?) that commit the offence of viewing images of child abuse may only be warned or cautioned rather than prosecuted for the offence.
It struck me that a lot of this would not be possible without the internet, without smart phones, without facebook, without the mobile phone/data network. All the cases of inappropriate image sharing, people texting/surfing while in control of a vehicle, kids (and parents) walking out of school and straight into the road without even looking because they are glued to their phones, couples/families dining in restaurants with barely a muttered word to each other because they are all busy living a proxy life on social media, mums pushing babies pram along the pavement oblivious to their surrounding or dangers because they are checking to see if anyone has commented on their latest profile update. We all see it all the time. How is any of this a good thing?

The internet and mobile communication is a wonder of our age, but it is also a curse on society, a pox on humanity. I wonder how the current situation will be viewed by future generations with the benefit of hindsight? It could be that the concept of allowing unlimited, unrestricted, on demand communication and data access will be viewed to be about as damaging as the administration of Thalidomide to treat pregnant mothers for morning sickness!

Society has clearly demonstrated that it has no self control when it comes to the internet and mobile communication. My answer, my solution to the problem, why not turn it off? Turn it off now before it is too late. Withdraw it from the market, like that infamous drug, because we can now see what the unexpected side-effects are and the danger it poses.

It's a radical concept but can we honestly say, hand on heart, that the benefits are worth the damage?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's a radical concept but can we honestly say, hand on heart, that the benefits are worth the damage?
Yes. It's enabled a lot of good things, including disaster response, and I guess we'll grow out of the inappropriate use problem because you'd don't see people on Star Trek walking into doors because they're on their hands-free communicators... or do you?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PfOJ_9tvM

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Using a mobile while driving is said to be as dangerous as driving while under the influence of drink, therefore the penalty should be the same. It is inexcusable in any case as you can get a bluetooth earpiece for around a fiver.

Tim Hall

Using a mobile while driving is said to be as dangerous as driving while under the influence of drink, therefore the penalty should be the same. It is inexcusable in any case as you can get a bluetooth earpiece for around a fiver.
There's strong evidence that using a mobile while driving, regardless of whether it's handsfree or not, is a dangerous distraction. Many companies have a no driving no phoning policy (Network Rail for one).

Globalti

Legendary Member
I also agree that holding a conversation on a phone hands-free is distracting but, in the same way as talking with your passengers, at least you have your eyes on the road. If I do make a call on the hands-free it's because I'm stuck in traffic and want to warn my family I'll be late home.

Surely car and phone manufacturers can cooperate to ensure that mobile phones can't text at all and can't make calls work inside a motor vehicle unless they are linked to the ICE system?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My cars dashboard settings wont work if the car is moving, wouldnt be hard to do with relatively modern phones.

Totally lock them unless paired with a handsfree

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My cars dashboard settings wont work if the car is moving, wouldnt be hard to do with relatively modern phones.

Totally lock them unless paired with a handsfree
Bloody nuisance when travelling by bus, though. I don't think there's a good technical solution possible for this social problem.

Edit: and why should a handsfree allow people to text or IM or play games or whatever?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once found myself being driven at speed through the mad traffic of Lahore in Pakistan by a driver who was watching Mrs Thatcher's resignation speech on a small TV balanced on his dashboard. It was far more terrifying than the usual Pakistani driving.

Top Bottom