New mobile phone laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Reg,

Drago is so wrong that I simply left his post as a shining beacon of ignorance.

There are many crimes that are not recordable. For example Code D of PACE talks about arrests for non-recordable offences
Yeah ! The closest Drago has been to a police uniform was in a village people tribute band :giggle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Should be a strict 12 limit, no exceptions, no hardship claims. Otherwise this is what we get, people with 62 points still driving:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658

And our old fried Guy Martin too

‘I recently used Anton to defend me on my speeding case. It was going to be a difficult one having argued exceptional hardship twice in the last 18 months. Anton put together a novel argument outlining the impact of a driving ban on television production companies and charitable organisations with which I work. The court accepted the argument and I escaped a driving ban. When it comes to driving offences, as a professional motorcycle racer and lorry driver I would not hesitate to recommend Anton and his team.’ – Guy Martin, Road Racer, Engine Builder, Professional Pistonhead and Star of film and TV, Lincolnshire

http://www.keepmeontheroad.co.uk/testimonials/

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

‘I recently used Anton to defend me on my speeding case. It was going to be a difficult one having argued exceptional hardship twice in the last 18 months. Anton put together a novel argument outlining the impact of a driving ban on television production companies and charitable organisations with which I work. The court accepted the argument and I escaped a driving ban. When it comes to driving offences, as a professional motorcycle racer and lorry driver I would not hesitate to recommend Anton and his team.’ – Guy Martin, Road Racer, Engine Builder, Professional Pistonhead and Star of film and TV, Lincolnshire

Thanks for the link, I'll give Anton a bell next time I run up a few speeding points.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

That's really annoying. I liked him and had no knowledge he was such a twat on public roads. Having googled it I learn that he was already on 18 points and facing a ban for speeding but a judge showed him leniency and awarded only 3 points instead.

You'd think he got all the thrills he needed on the track, without resorting to endangering the public.

pawl

Legendary Member
It seems the law has been updated and from midnight last night the fine is £200 plus six points for touching your phone while driving .
Drivers that have passed their test within two years of getting caught will be banned from driving and have to resit the test and will carry the six points forward to the new licence .
Personally i think the latter part should apply to all drivers not just newer ones .

Agree with that Driving a car is not a right.break the rules and suffer the consequences.

Tim Hall

If you block data, then GPS won't work, vehicle tracking won't work, apps like Uber would have to shutdown etc.
GPS doesn't use data, it uses GPS signals. If you have maps stored on your device, like I do with OSMand, the mapping part (showing where you are, working out which turn to take next etc) doesn't use data either. Vehicle tracking does use data.

Reactions: mjr

Didn't know that, I thought he was an ok sort of bloke but he's now gone down in my estimations considerably (which I'm sure will really bother him).

GPS doesn't use data, it uses GPS signals. If you have maps stored on your device, like I do with OSMand, the mapping part (showing where you are, working out which turn to take next etc) doesn't use data either. Vehicle tracking does use data.
I meant GPS navigation, which most people rely on a remote server to plot the routes. I'm very aware of OSMAnd which I have been using since 2011 and have mentioned 31 times on this site (though when I hit "post" that will move it to 32). osmand is great for cycle navigation, but in a car I really value the traffic information. I wonder how google and apple would react to being driven out of the in car navigation market in the UK? Tom Tom and Garmin would be happy, as it would force a lot of drivers to buy their maps or go back to dedicated sat navs.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wonder how google and apple would react to being driven out of the in car navigation market in the UK? Tom Tom and Garmin would be happy, as it would force a lot of drivers to buy their maps or go back to dedicated sat navs.
I wonder why none of those navigation companies LOCK THEIR DAMNED DEVICE SCREENS when the vehicle is in motion? Sat navs are little better. Ban the lot if they don't start behaving better. People will have to go back to radio traffic alerts and the traffic information signs!

I wonder why none of those navigation companies LOCK THEIR DAMNED DEVICE SCREENS when the vehicle is in motion? Sat navs are little better. Ban the lot if they don't start behaving better. People will have to go back to radio traffic alerts and the traffic information signs!
I think (purpose built) ones are safer than street directories. I was nearly knocked down by a car a few years ago, and when I stopped to remonstrate with the driver, she had an A-Z open on her steering wheel, and her only response to my rant was "Which way is Marble Arch?"

<and I told her>

I also agree that holding a conversation on a phone hands-free is distracting but, in the same way as talking with your passengers, at least you have your eyes on the road. If I do make a call on the hands-free it's because I'm stuck in traffic and want to warn my family I'll be late home.

Surely car and phone manufacturers can cooperate to ensure that mobile phones can't text at all and can't make calls work inside a motor vehicle unless they are linked to the ICE system?

I use a traffic system called "Waze" and apart from the usual navigation functions ..........if you try using it when the vehicle is mobile it does not work unless you confirm you are a passenger. An attempt, but so easily over ridden

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Excellent news.

Now, we need to think about the over use of touch screens in cars, a design trend that I despise. I saw an advert this week for some new hatchback that illustrated the ability for the driver to conveniently swipe between screens on his car dash...like it was a feature.

Its as if these designs are feeding a habit removed by legislation against phone use...i must get my swipe fix!!

Awful, dangerous designs.

Had a Citroen C4 Cactus as a courtesy car last month - virtually everything was run off a touchscreen in the middle of the dash - heater, stereo, phone, etc
It was incredibly distracting if you needed to do even something simple like turn the heater down, or adjust the volume and it all worked all the time, including when the car was in motion. I'm not entirely sure how faffing with the touchscreen in the dash is any different to faffing with a mobile phone.
Sadly it looks like this is something that's being fitted to virtually all new cars now.

Top Bottom