New mobile phones..........some semi-technical help required please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Been on contract with Virgin for years now. Phones are well over 2 years old so we are both changing (and have selected phone and tariff).
In the past, when we have changed phones the staff member has done all the necessaries ie loaded all contacts, swapped photos and apps etc. Apparently they are no longer allowed to do that.
Being an old fart, a technophobe and never having done it before I am 'bricking it'.
They will be giving me a phone number for technical support but I don't really want the pressure of conversing on the land line while trying to follow the instruction of some 15 year old geek.
So.............
Can someone advise me.
a) what things should I definitely remember to swap over.
b) what is on my phone and what is on my memory card & sim card.
c) is there an easy way to do all this.
ANYTHING ELSE I REALLY REALLY NEED TO DO.
Thanks in advance.

PK99

Legendary Member
Been on contract with Virgin for years now. Phones are well over 2 years old so we are both changing (and have selected phone and tariff).
In the past, when we have changed phones the staff member has done all the necessaries ie loaded all contacts, swapped photos and apps etc. Apparently they are no longer allowed to do that.
Being an old fart, a technophobe and never having done it before I am 'bricking it'.
They will be giving me a phone number for technical support but I don't really want the pressure of conversing on the land line while trying to follow the instruction of some 15 year old geek.
So.............
Can someone advise me.
a) what things should I definitely remember to swap over.
b) what is on my phone and what is on my memory card & sim card.
c) is there an easy way to do all this.
ANYTHING ELSE I REALLY REALLY NEED TO DO.
Thanks in advance.

Samsung phones have a Smart Switch tool - connect the two phones and it does it for you.

Maybe others do the same?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Do you have the option your present phones to upload/backup everything to the Cloud?
If so, do that then log into the Cloud on your new phones and download it.
Apps will likely have to be reinstalled from Playstore or AppStore, depending whether you are on Android or fruit based OS

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do you have the option your present phones to upload/backup everything to the Cloud?
If so, do that then log into the Cloud on your new phones and download it.
Apps will likely have to be reinstalled from Playstore or AppStore, depending whether you are on Android or fruit based OS
Remember when I said I am an old fart and a technophobe :smile:
Never been on/had cloud and no idea how to do it.

stephec

Legendary Member
I can't remember exactly how it happened but, when I got a new phone a while back it came up with a message asking if I wanted to copy the profile from an existing phone (can't remember the exact wording) so I selected yes.

It searched for nearby devices, and by the magic of bluetooth everything transfered from the old one to the new one, even the pictures that I use as my home screen background and screensaver were set.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
stupid question...............how/where do I connect them?
If you new phone doesn't come with one you can buy an adapter which allows you to connect a USB cable between the two.

IMG_20180424_145959.jpg

When connected the new phone will ask if you want to transfer the data. That's Android. All you need to do with Apple is sign in to your account on the new phone.
If you want advise on which phone to get the budget Motorola's are good if you're not too demanding. I've just got a Google Pixel 2 and its great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom