New owner Specialized Secteur Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MLC

Or at least will be by end of March

Would have liked to get the Elite as had 105's but being fairly new to all this could not quite bring myself to spend a grand on a bike + couldn't afford it either so it would be a moot point anyway

Why did I choose this?

I ummed and ahhhd over lots of different brands, Ribble, Tifosi, Merida, Trek and it seemed the best bike for my needs (the ribble came close and I was also very impressed by the Merida)
I didn't want a bum up speed machine nor did I want a full on touring machine but something that errred on the the racier side of in between. I also got it from my local non franchised LBS who looked after me very well and took ages to make sure the test bike was set up properly (they should have my one in the next week or so and have asked me to come in so they can set it up correctly for me)

Test ride
Had one on the entry level version and compared to what I was riding before it felt well planted on the road, easier to get up a hill, more comfortable and a lot less vibey it felt solid and comfortable yet quite light if that makes sense. The steering was also a lot more neutral and not as twitchy as my old one.

Bad points:
I am comparing this with what I had before (which was a RB-BSO) so it is quite hard to come up with anything however looking at it objectively and from other intelligence/reviews Sora may be an issue but compared with what I had before it was miles better. Also the frames are the same so upgrading to 105 or ultegra may be possible in the future

Once my finances have bounced back up the pedals (which are useless) will be binned and I shall be going clipless (for the first time) Crank bros. candy X pedals look quite good

Anyway will keep you all posted and give you further updates as I go along!

bad boy

Über Member
Nice one MLC I hope you enjoy it I really like the colour and paint scheme on your new bike looks great IMO.

I'm sure your be zipping along on it in no time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Welcome to the Secteur club MLC... I have the Elite.. and it's a great bike. You are going to enjoy riding yours...deffo. Make sure when you get you put up a pic in the photo section..

potsy

Rambler
Yey another one in 'our gang':biggrin:
I have the same thought as you re upgrading later,now I know the bike is the one for me will upgrade as and when I can.
I still haven't put any pics of mine up yet,but as I'd have to clean it 1st might be a while longer yet;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
C'mon Pots old chap.. get them pics up.. no excuse :smile:

potsy said:
Yey another one in 'our gang':biggrin:
I have the same thought as you re upgrading later,now I know the bike is the one for me will upgrade as and when I can.
I still haven't put any pics of mine up yet,but as I'd have to clean it 1st might be a while longer yet;)

dhague

Cool stuff. I plan to do an ianrauk myself soon - Bike4Work voucher will be with me in a few weeks' time, then I can get a Secteur Elite to sit alongside my Roubaix Elite. I plan to get a rack for the Secteur so it can fulfil commuting duties in place of my Giant Expression hybrid, which will get demoted to local runaround/go-to-the-shops status.

I might swap the 105 kit between the bikes - a triple on the Roubaix might come in handy for L'Arvan Villards in July.

My god - this N+1 business is serious. I only starting cycling a year ago, soon I'll have 3 bikes, and I'm already thinking about a fixie for next year's Bike4Work...

Norm

Hee Hee to the N+1. And, by coincidence, I was out and about in Virginia Water / Sunningdale last Friday, visiting a friend. Lumpy out that way, innit. :evil:

rsvdaz

can I ask what is the difference between a secteur and an allez?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
nice one.. :evil: you certainly won't regret it.

dhague said:
Cool stuff. I plan to do an ianrauk myself soon - Bike4Work voucher will be with me in a few weeks' time, then I can get a Secteur Elite to sit alongside my Roubaix Elite.

Broadside

Guru
MLC - I have the Secteur Sport too and love it, I've just clocked up 850 miles on mine since Nov 09. It's fast and comfortable on 50+ mile rides which is exactly what I was looking for.

rsvdaz - the big difference is the frame geometry, it is more relaxed than the Allez mainly because of the longer head tube (the one under the handlebar stem). The Secteur Sport upwards have Zertz inserts in the forks which are designed to reduce road buzz further.

It also has triple chainrings as standard and 25c instead of 23c tyres. All of these things make it more comfortable though this is relative of course as it is still meant to be a fast bike. As it is more comfortable it fits in to the Specialized endurance rather than race range. I've bought mine for Sportives and it seems to have the mix of traits I am looking for.

I did however do the Puncheur Sportive on Sunday and every bugger there seemed to have a full carbon bike apart from me! A few of them would have been crying in to their pasta at the end however as there were quite a few fallers on ice and with a full carbon frame you never quite know how much damage you have done...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is one of the reasons for getting a Secteur to compliment my Roubaix. Just don't trust myself on carbon in bad conditions.

dmoran said:
there were quite a few fallers on ice and with a full carbon frame you never quite know how much damage you have done...

potsy

Rambler
rsvdaz said:
can I ask what is the difference between a secteur and an allez?
Secteurs are way cooler FACT.:evil:
Not wanting to hijack the thread but,is it wrong to put M+ tyres on a bike like the Secteur? Was thinking of doing this once my Conti 4s have run their course.

Top Bottom