New pedals - SPD SL's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need to replace my current pedals which I've borrowed off a friend to try out, they were clipless SPD's.

Having decided that I do like clipless pedals I now want to invest in some SPD-SL's.

The colouring, has to be satin black or alluminium, could also have some red splashed on it but not a requirement.

I'd rather get it right first time than spend out on cheapo's and have to re-buy in a few months.

I want light weight and build quality from these, they are for commuting mainly with some leisurely rides at the weekend.

One side at least will be clipped in and out of a lot.

They don't need to be double sided, infact, I wouldn't mind being able to use the other side as a flat pedal occasionally.

The shoes I understand can be any road type which I'll probably buy instore so it really is just the pedals and cleats that I need advice on.

My budget, well of course as little as possible but I could probably stretch to £200 for shoes pedals and cleats.

This is the bike so you can all see the current colour scheme.

Campanolobike.jpg

So what are your recommendations?

Thanks.

zizou

Veteran
SPD-SL only come single sided and the non-mechanism side is not usualable as a flat pedal. You'd need SPD pedals if you want single sided pedals that have a flat on the other side.

I have black Shimano 105 ones and they are pretty good and also decent value. However if i was buying again I would got for the silver as the black ones show scratches more.

For shoes, it is really about personal preference - i find Specialized shoes to be the most comfortable but other people prefer other brands. For your £200 budget you will have a lot of choice - personally i'd go for 105 for about £40 or Ultegra for £60 rather than getting Dura-Ace so you have more to spend on the shoes (the pedals will come with cleats). You might want to also budget for a pair of overshoes if you get white shoes.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
SPD-SL only come single sided and the non-mechanism side is not usualable as a flat pedal. You'd need SPD pedals if you want single sided pedals that have a flat on the other side.

I have black Shimano 105 ones and they are pretty good and also decent value. However if i was buying again I would got for the silver as the black ones show scratches more.

For shoes, it is really about personal preference - i find Specialized shoes to be the most comfortable but other people prefer other brands. For your £200 budget you will have a lot of choice - personally i'd go for 105 for about £40 or Ultegra for £60 rather than getting Dura-Ace so you have more to spend on the shoes (the pedals will come with cleats). You might want to also budget for a pair of overshoes if you get white shoes.

I have SLs on two bikes and often use one of them as a pub bike without bothering to swap pedals, but using the same side as you clip in. They're fine for short trips in flat shoes - five miles or so each way.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
SPD-SLs are basically a steal from Look. I have them and I don't rate them. The SPD-Rs that they replaced were far, far better, but the shoe plates don't fit most shoes of recent vintage.

I'm not up on what else is available, but, given the price of SPD-SL pedals* I'd take advice from somebody who can offer advice before shelling out the cash.

By the way - SPD-SL cleats come in 'float' and 'no-float'. Except that the 'no-float' is really 'some float'. As someone who really prefers proper 'no-float' pedals this is a bit of a disappointment.

*I saw the 540s in Evans the other day for about £25, which is a bit of a bargain

You'll easily get something good for sub £200. I was guided to SPD-SL by the lbs rather than look because SPD-SL are more waddable.
I'm unaware of any double sided road pedals and you cant positively pedal on their flat side.
Its up to you at the end of the day but if your commute involves a lot of stop/ starting and you want to walk a bit more, Id rather go for a stiffer pair of Mtb shoes (like BG sports) and a touring pedals (like the A520's). I have them on my leisure bike and use it for some club runs.

Carbon

Veteran
Nice bike !!! You need to treat it to some nice pedals.

I fitted a pair of these about two weeks ago and they are a giant leap on any clipless pedals I've ridden before:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+...+Carbon+Pedals+Cr-Mo+Axle_KEO-BLADE-CROMO.htm

Think they came out at £116.00 with members discount, they come with 2 sets of cleats as well and covers for walking. I went for the 12Nm model and the feel is fantastic. They replaced a pair of Look Keo Classic's and they feel light years ahead. This will also leave you enough money in your budget for some decent SPD SL shoes as well.....

OP
OP
W
Well, I went to a few shops, the prices didn't vary much and the internet was not really any cheaper after postage, unusual really as for most things it is a lot cheaper.

Eventually I went with the popular choice of Shimano pedals and Shimano shoes, aluminum and black so in keeping with the colour scheme.

In total they came to £110 and were fitted and adjusted for free.

First impressions are great, far easier to clip into than the MTB type pedals and also a lot lighter, as in half the weight or less.

The shoes are a lot lighter also and walking in them isn't as bad as people make out, obviously they aren't going to go a long distance but being so light they aren't going to be a problem to put in my back pack.

I never got on with SPD-SL, but they may suit you perfectly. I can recommend Speedplay Zeros they're certainly not the cheapest, and they will push your budget to it's limit, but they are a phenomenol pedal and would complement your bike superbly :thumbsup:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I have the 5650 Shimano 105 SPD SL pedals. Cost was about £40 inc cleats. I have used standard MTB spd for over a decade and prefer them for general riding as they are double sided and better for stop start trips in traffic etc

The SLs are great for uninterrupted road riding, I chose them because the groupset on my bike is all 105 (5600). I had look Keo pedals on another bike, but like the SL ones a bit better.

OP
OP
W
Just out of interest; What make is that frame/bike?

The bike is a custom jobbie, it is almost completely Italian.

The frame is a random Aluminum frame with Carbon front forks, it was found in Italy and brought back by the guy who built it.

The welds have been over welded and ground down, they're very tidy. It is a bit longer than the usual frame also.

The only markings on the frame at all is an Italian flag with Giro D'Italia and a red dash with a flying dove on the rear fork.

Top Bottom