New project for no1 son

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I bought this frame off ebay! It's a 14" aluminium dirt jump frame, handbuilt by Stow's Cycles. He's given me his savings for components; he gets a new bike and I get to build something. ;)

First job: find a headset to go from the 34mm (ID) head tube to the 1 1/8" fork steerer, and find a rear mech hanger that will fit..

. IMAG3695.jpg IMAG3696.jpg IMAG3698.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
Sounds like it should be a fun little project! Is your son interested in helping out with the build? I always wish I'd paid more attention to my Dad when he tried to get me into carpentry when I was a teenager....

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Sounds like it should be a fun little project! Is your son interested in helping out with the build? I always wish I'd paid more attention to my Dad when he tried to get me into carpentry when I was a teenager....

Yes, he really does want to help. I have to keep a tight rein on him sometimes as he wants to take everything to bits (just like I did). Of course, most things are electronic these days; very boring and nothing to see...

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Here's how the bike is going. Following a trip to Decathlon, we have 720mm bars, grips and tyres and chain. The seatpost and wheels came from Ebayvia and he's got my Ragley saddle and a low mileage 8-speed cassette.

We're just waiting on cranks, brakes and pedals, all currently being handcrafted by elves in Ebayvia.

IMAG3897.jpg

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Looking nice - I like the colour scheme, and admire anyone who can put a bike together from scratch (I'm all fingers and no thumbs). :smile:

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Forest of Dean today and the bike is great. I didn't have time to sort the calipers so the brakes were binding most of the time. Ten minutes with the tools when I got home, aligning the calipers, and they're spot on... :rolleyes:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Fantastic :smile: Really enjoyed seeing the progress on this thread. When my godchildren are old enough I'm definitely going to sort them out with some MTBs!

Top Bottom