New Project. Raleigh Scorpio.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I will not be spending loads of cash on this bike, new bearings and tyres probably and what ever I can scrounge or re-use. The budget is tight as a tight thing.

I noticed the rear brake cable runs through the top tube, so I have left that in there for now because I'm not sure how I have to thread it through.

I do all my bikes on a tight budget, it makes one more resourceful. Normally try to keep the total outlay below £50-60 for a "good" bike. For a hack bike I aim for as close to nothing as possible.

The lugged & brazed versions of the Raleigh Pioneer frames also employ that brake cable routing through the top tube. I've stripped a couple for spares, and what I do is insert a thin wire through the outer cable in situ, keep hold of the end of it, then pull the outer out of the frame, leaving the thin wire inside, then tie it off both ends so it can't get lost. Then, when you want to renew the outer cable you can draw in a new one easily and it shouldn't get stuck in the entry/exit holes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
To replace hidden cable , i do similar to @SkipdiverJohn ie remove outer cable then feed new outer over old inner then remove old inner and fit new inner

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think these BB bearings are knackered especially the one on the right! :laugh: How on earth do they get like that?

Anyone know what size they are, so can order new ones?

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think these BB are knackered especially the one on the right! :laugh: How on earth do they get like that?
View attachment 494540

A complete lack of maintenance for 25+ years, that's how. The drive side of the BB in my '91 Raleigh Highlander MTB was in a similar state, and the naughty seller neglected to mention anything about this! :laugh:
Still, at the bargain basement prices I pay for my projects it would be churlish to kick up a fuss about this sort of fault. What do I expect for £15? Soon sorted at no cost using BB parts stripped out of a dumped BSO and has been in service ever since.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice bike carlos. Far too big for you so you should give it to me, bit only once you've restored it.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Blumen’ heck. Sometimes the simplest of tasks can be really difficult.

I wanted to take the five bolts off of the chain ring, I have the correct tools, it’s an easy job. Four came off straight away, the last one kept spinning and I couldn’t get any purchase with chain ring nut tool. It eventually gave up on me.

After many attempts I gave up last night and sprayed the feckin thing with GT85 and left it to soak.
This afternoon I had another go, after about 45 minutes of trial and mostly error, I rigged up a Heath Robinson thing on my workmate.

Two G clamps at 8 & 2 o’clock holding everything down, a trigger clamp at 1 o’clock to stop it spinning , underneath the workmate there’s a hex key clamped in the jaws of the workmate with a locking jaw pliers clamped to the hex key, then a steel pole through the workmate hole, held in place with the screw driver to stop the hex key/jaw pliers spinning!
Then I set about twatting the nut with a screw driver and hammer, five minutes later it was off! Feckin thing.

It’s a bit worse for wear. I’ll have to get a new one.

Job done.

what a palaver.

Top Bottom