New Project. Raleigh Scorpio.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Is it just the angle of the photograph, or is that the grungiest workmate on the planet?.............:notworthy:
Lol, yes it is! That’s seen a lot of action that work mate, I’ve had it since new, about 30 years, it’s been through five house refurbishments , various decorating jobs for me and friends, and many ceramic tiling projects. Also many build/repair/repaint for magician props and of course my go to tool for cycle projects. I’ll never get rid of it.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Nice project, right up my street. If you’re repainting it why not consider refinishing it in the classic red Ti team colours.
Not my thing that, it’s gone to the powder coating firm, it’ll be coming back in as near as damn it to British Racing Green.

Should look most fetching in BRG. The Mini One I had back there was a BRG, so I'm quite partial to that colour.
Surpried at how cheap the paint job is - always thought sand blasting and powder coating to be prohibitive.
From what I've heard you may have to re-tap some holes and do a bit of scraping so everything fits, but gotta be better than rattlecans.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@FrankCrank
Here’s the Workmate in all its tatty glory.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Are you going to get it a new top for Christmas? :eek: You've had your money's worth out of that one......
I like the patina.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have just heard from the powder coating firm that my bike is being done and it will be ready tomorrow. In the meantime I have been fettling away at the parts, but it's cold in the garage so my progress is slow.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Some before and after photos of cleaning up various bits, years and years of grime is taking some getting off.

The quill stem had reflective tape on it which had been on for years, it took a bloody age to get that off.

Years of crap.

All looking a bit better now, though they're never going to be perfect. I was a bit to vigorous with the wire wool and rubbed off the Weinmann log.

The two BB cups were particularly gunky

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Ah but look at the quality of those BB cups, as long as the shaft is in decent nick you'll get years out of that with a judicious replacement of the bearings every couple of years. Make sure you really slap the grease on before assembling it though.

I had a quick butchers at the shaft and it looks ok, hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to give it a good clean.

Top Bottom