New Project. Raleigh Scorpio.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
For about four weeks I’ve been walking the dogs past a house in my village that has had this bike sitting outside and unlocked and unloved. Today enough was enough and I knocked on the door and asked about it. Before I could finish the sentence the nice man told me to take it.

It’s another budget Raleigh but in better nick (not by much) than the BSA Tour de France I did up this year, but just what I wanted as another do-er upper.

I’m not going to spend so much money on this one though, I’ll take it apart, clean it all up, and replace what needs to be replaced.
The headset bearings most certainly need replacing for a start off.

I can’t find a stamped frame number, only a printed number on a sticker. It has Sachs Maillard hubs with the following stamped

H 50 92

It was bought from a shop called Dentons Toys & Cycles which is still in business in Witney.

Whad’ya fink?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Good find :okay:. This is what the Scorpio looked like in the 70's lol

Raleigh-Scorpio-vintage-road-bike-1978-27-wheels.jpg

tom73

Guru
Nice :becool:
Why don't I have neighbours like that :sad:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I hope you are long of leg.

I was just thinking the same thing! My legs are pretty long but I'd still think twice about riding that one, especially in traffic. It looks to be a 25"! They didn't mess about with silly little frames back in the steel days. None of that compact geometry nonsense with half a yard of seatpost sticking out.
It's lugged steel, and it's a Raleigh, and it was definitely a good price - which ticks most of the boxes in my book.
Those old basic spec Raleighs with the 18-23 frames seem to be unjustifiably looked down on, IMHO. They weren't BSO's and I suspect many of us on here grew up riding similar bikes when we were youngsters and the budget didn't stretch to a custom-built 531. Those are the sort of bikes that resulted in a lot of people becoming cyclists in the first place, and either remaining cyclists or having that first experience of cycling to return to in later life.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Took the Scrorpio apart this morning, it is now reduced to a frame, fork, wheels and a box of bits.

Unlike the BSA Tour de France I did earlier I will not be spending loads of cash on this bike, new bearings and tyres probably and what ever I can scrounge or re-use. The budget is tight as a tight thing.

I noticed the rear brake cable runs through the top tube, so I have left that in there for now because I'm not sure how I have to thread it through.

I used a crank puller for the very first time too, clever bit of kit that, it has been in tool box for years and I wondered what it did.:wacko:

@raleighnut I had a google, it is not a BioPace crank.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Took the Scrorpio apart this morning, it is now reduced to a frame, fork, wheels and a box of bits.

Unlike the BSA Tour de France I did earlier I will not be spending loads of cash on this bike, new bearings and tyres probably and what ever I can scrounge or re-use. The budget is tight as a tight thing.

View attachment 494350

I noticed the rear brake cable runs through the top tube, so I have left that in there for now because I'm not sure how I have to thread it through.

I used a crank puller for the very first time too, clever bit of kit that, it has been in tool box for years and I wondered what it did.:wacko:

@raleighnut I had a google, it is not a BioPace crank.
It was the little yellow sticker on the chainring that made me think 'Biopace', as for the rebuild this was the components I replaced when I rebuilt my Ridgeback a couple of years ago.

just over £20 :angel:

Top Bottom