New Rider, looking at a Decathlon bike. Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WheelyBadAtPuns

Hi all,

I've just started commuting to work, it's currently a 26 mile round trip and my awful old mountain bike just isn't cutting it anymore. I've started looking at some road bikes and have come across this Decathlon that tickles my fancy.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Could you guys let me know your thoughts on it, I've read that decathlon make decent bikes for the price and I know that most poeple say second hand is the way to go when on the budget. But I like the look of this sexy thing and was wondering what the parts are like for the price

Cheers guys :biggrin:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Them Tribans are popular beasts, I don't own one myself and don't really know much about them, but I think they are, by all accounts good bikes.

Someone will be along soon to confirm/deny this.

Anyway, regardless of that, I see this is your first post, so HELLO!!

OP
OP
W

WheelyBadAtPuns

I noticed that vickster, but with my limited biking knowledge I wasn't sure as to how much difference that makes. After browsing the Internet a bit I've seen the shimano name thrown around as being good parts, and have noticed the red model contains some of these parts while the white one doesn't. How does the white's parts stack up against it and is it still decent value for money?

Excuse my complete bike ignorance in all this :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Carbon forks help the bike absorb the bumps in the road, there are many of these in the UK, makes it nore comfortable (and the bike lighter)!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Carbon forks help the bike absorb the bumps in the road, there are many of these in the UK, makes it nore comfortable (and the bike lighter)!
Although it should not be a reason not to buy the bike, they are still cracking bikes for the money and you will not get a bike with a carbon fork for this price point unless you go second hand and i personally would not trust second hand carbon that cheap.
I ride a another brand road bike with steel forks and its fine with good with correct bike set up, in fact i was playing with my other bike with a carbon fork and altered the set up and it was more uncomfortable than the steel one ( lesson leaned , do not fiddle when its right )

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I noticed that vickster, but with my limited biking knowledge I wasn't sure as to how much difference that makes. After browsing the Internet a bit I've seen the shimano name thrown around as being good parts, and have noticed the red model contains some of these parts while the white one doesn't. How does the white's parts stack up against it and is it still decent value for money?

Excuse my complete bike ignorance in all this :smile:
The new triban uses microshift shifters, they work ok and are just another manufacturer, i ran a bike a while back with them and actually preferred it as the shifts ahd a more solid feel compared to shimano 2300 which tribans used to come with.
There is a pro race team that uses microshift so its not like they do not work.

vickster

Legendary Member
My point was that the new Triban 3 does not have a carbon fork. Almost all of the feedback is on the previous model which did have this as a new bike for £300.
I have bad arms and need a carbon fork for comfort as for me it does dampen the road buzz. That said I ride bikes that cost rather more than £300

OP
OP
W

WheelyBadAtPuns

Alright no need to boast vickster :biggrin: . Thanks for all your advice guys, I know you've touched on the gears and carbon forks part but do all the other parts seem good value for a £300 bike ?

Hi there. I had a red Triban 3 and loved it! Did need to change the wheels as they went out of true on every pot hole and eventually the back rim failed but don't let that put you off!!! For the money, its worth buying a second pair of wheels and sticking them on (think I've seen some here that look good in the classifieds for about £40).

subaqua

What’s the point
the original red was the best . save your pennies a bit more and get the Triban 5 . daughter has the T3 in red and i have the sport 1 which was the T3 predecessor, it doesnt have a carbon fork and i prefer the T3 foir less road buzz

wakou

Über Member
They are excellent value for the money, You cannot get a better (new) bike for £300... Micro-shift shifters, although a lesser-known brand, by all accounts I have read/heard DO work and quite nicely too. The carbon fork issue is not a huge deal in my opinion, until you are riding more than say 20 miles at a time, then you might want to look at upgrades etc, as mentioned above, better tyres, then perhaps better wheels, different saddle, (depending upon how you are getting along with the one already fitted) then perhaps different forks....

mark st1

Plastic Manc
They are excellent value for the money, You cannot get a better (new) bike for £300. Better tyres, then perhaps better wheels, different saddle, (depending upon how you are getting along with the one already fitted) then perhaps different forks....

Just out of interest what would you be looking to pay for that lot ? As to me that seems to make a bargain £300 bike quite expensive ?

Top Bottom