New road bike - Can't decide!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phixion

Hey there, I've been checking out the bikes in the £300-£350 price range.

I really like the look of the Orbea bikes, has anyone ever had one? What are they like to ride?

I have my eye on these two at the moment, I prefer the look of the Orbea but as I know nothing about bikes I'd like to know which is the better bike, in terms of the components (is that the right word?) used on them.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/1399/29642/

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product2.asp?product_id=1146&pname=Larrau

Can anyone here recommend any similar/better bikes for a similar price range?

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Why not consider a used lightweight classic racing bike. Lots of superb examples around. Check the classicrendezvous site for lots useful info. British and Italian are amongst the best and they will appreciate in value. A new bike for less than £350 you will have fairly clunky components and won't really give you the satisfaction that a used classic would.

Mortiroloboy

I have a 2008 SCR4 which has had extensive upgrades, and serves as my winter bike, the advert for the SCR4 you linked to tells porkies, suggesting that the fork is possibly carbon, which it isn't, the fork is croMo.

For me the Orbea edges it as the shifters are Sora, whereas the shifters on the GIANT are FD2200 the group below sora, the chainset and R/D look to be sora too rather than the GIANTS FD 2200/Truvativ mix, having said that it will work OK, but you may want to upgrade in time, as a starter bike they both look like VFM.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Ludwig said:
Why not consider a used lightweight classic racing bike. Lots of superb examples around. Check the classicrendezvous site for lots useful info. British and Italian are amongst the best and they will appreciate in value. A new bike for less than £350 you will have fairly clunky components and won't really give you the satisfaction that a used classic would.

It's my first serious bike in years, I'd rather have a new bike than a used one, then at least I know what I'm getting.

The stuff on the cheaper bikes obviously won't be as good, but then again I can't see myself paying over £1000 for a bike.

I think a £350 bike will suit my needs for now.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

peanuts said:
have a look at the Ribble Cycles winter bike it was round about £300 last time I looked. They are giving more off theprice if you phone your order in .
Very popular frame almost everyone and his Mother have one
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/BikeBuilder.asp

I don't understand that bike builder, nothing has a visible price until you get to the purchase screen.

Also the Winter Frame is £575.00 with the cheapest components set :/

I'd say go with your gut feeling...I paid £250 for a 2nd hand Carrera Virtuoso, which has done me fine for three years....did 45 miles on her yesterday, and still get wonderful thrills!!

£350 isn't so much to spend, and in 3-4 years you'll know btter what you need, and what you desire!

This is my carrera:smile:, and my desire bike, which I'll probably never own.!!:smile:

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Thing is I'm getting really fussy, I want a good looking bike - but then I also want decent components and Tiagra shifters... all for ~£400.

I think I'm expecting a bit too much. Maybe I should just save more money to get something I want. I can't see myself getting on with anything less than Tiagra shifters.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a very cheap second hand road bike to see how I get on and to build my fitness levels before taking the plunge and spending £400+ on a new bike. Are there any decent sites I can check (other than ebay)?

Top Bottom