New Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
11-32 is usually MTB gearing

SRAM launched their Apex Road Groupset this year with 11-32 compatibility.

Shimano do 11-28 road cassettes, but it can only be used with certain rear derailleurs.

My 105 5600 groupset allows a max size of 27t. I currently run 12-25 down the back with 34/50 up front.

I can easily climb 10% in second gear with my set-up, I've done 46mph spinning out in top downhill.

The TDF guys are running 53 11 to get their speed.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I think you'll still have a stiff neck as it's a different head position to a mtb, but it does help.

Sounds like a good first ride and you enjoyed yourself. I wish i could average 15mph over 55 miles (obviously I'll have to get a road bike :whistle:)
I guess the neck pain will get less over time? Thanks for the ego boost. Such a shame that the weather is lousy for the rest of the week :sad:

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
11-32 is usually MTB gearing

SRAM launched their Apex Road Groupset this year with 11-32 compatibility.

Shimano do 11-28 road cassettes, but it can only be used with certain rear derailleurs.

My 105 5600 groupset allows a max size of 27t. I currently run 12-25 down the back with 34/50 up front.

I can easily climb 10% in second gear with my set-up, I've done 46mph spinning out in top downhill.

The TDF guys are running 53 11 to get their speed.
Cheers for that :smile:

No offence taken :smile: My one regret is that the bike has a 14 28 rear c
og rather than an 11 32 :sad:

For what it is worth my bike has a 10 speed 13/29 and 39/53 chain rings, I used to ride the smaller gears quite often and grind them at a reasonably low cadence. I've changed now and am starting to spin rather than grind.

Now I'm rarely using anything other than the 4 largest gears on the small chain ring, I managed to exceed 35mph using just these gears on a short straight and only slowed for traffic.

In honesty, originally I wanted a smaller cassette but I'm actually considering upping the granny ring an extra few teeth for the 3mile incline journey home. An annoying slog that many cyclists walk up.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
For what it is worth my bike has a 10 speed 13/29 and 39/53 chain rings, I used to ride the smaller gears quite often and grind them at a reasonably low cadence. I've changed now and am starting to spin rather than grind.

Now I'm rarely using anything other than the 4 largest gears on the small chain ring, I managed to exceed 35mph using just these gears on a short straight and only slowed for traffic.

In honesty, originally I wanted a smaller cassette but I'm actually considering upping the granny ring an extra few teeth for the 3mile incline journey home. An annoying slog that many cyclists walk up.
I managed to spin out on a hill today. Maybe a larger front cog is the answer. A 58 instead of a 54?

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I thought that once, it never did though. That was an awkward goodbye. :whistle:

'grats on the new bike AFS, enjoy it. Road bikes can be skittish to begin with, I found mine scary at first. You'll soon gain confidence though!
I was scared at first but by about 10 miles in I was starting to experiment with hand possitions and tweaking the bar angles et al. By the time I got home I was in love :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You are doing my n+1 cravings no good whatsoever!
ohmy.gif
:tongue:

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Glad you are enjoying you bike :becool:

I'd advocate changing the freewheel/cassette instead, my Kinesis came with a 12-25 cassette; when it wore out I replaced it with a 11-25. I used to spin out before but not now :-)
Thank you :smile:
When it needs changing I'll see what is around :smile:
Need to make my legs move faster more of the time I think :laugh:

Top Bottom