New Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
They're so small, I think it's merely bending the rules :tongue:
I've already bought a cycle computer, bottle cage and spare inner tubes. I'm not made of money :tongue:

Seigi

Looks nice, do tell how you get on as I may be in the market for an entry level road bike in the near future. So far it sounds good.

crumpetman

OK. First little trip. Initial reactions. My gods the bars are narrow. The brakes are not as good as disk brakes. Rolls wonderfully and gear changing is smooth. Saddle is as good as the one on my MTB :smile: Riding on the hoods seems optimal if I am not worried about changing gear, the flats are the easiest position for me at the moment. Will take some getting used to but I am very happy with it :smile:

How do you change gear? I cannot see downtube shifters, someone else mentions a lack of STI and I cannot see anything else on the handlebars for shifting gears!

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Looks nice, do tell how you get on as I may be in the market for an entry level road bike in the near future. So far it sounds good.

Well I did a 55 mile loop. From Aberdare to Brecon and back. A mixture of hills and flat roads. Managed to average 15 mph and a max of 36mph.

I now feel comfortable on the bike and the bars are not too alien. I did have one scary moment when I was riding on the flat approaching a roundabout and tried to pull the brake levers that of course were not there.

Gearing is great although I fancy a smaller bottom cog on the rear. An 11 instead of a 14? I may try and put a larger front cog on instead.

I have tweaked the brakes and whilst they do stop me I realise I have to pay much more attention to the road than I do on my MTB with hydraulic disks.

One question - How the hell do you see when on the drops. My neck was in pain after about 30 seconds and the alternative seems to be looking at the ground :smile:

All in al I am very happy indeed :biggrin:

The picture was taken by a kind chap who was also enjoying a brake in the Bikers Lay-by and Mobile Cafe near Storey Arms.

Attachments

• Me in Bikers Cafe Layby near Storey Arms small.jpg
    Me in Bikers Cafe Layby near Storey Arms small.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 87

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Earlier this year my mate bought a new one to do the coast to coast ride, did the ride and sold it for a loss of only £10 such was the interest on ebay.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Earlier this year my mate bought a new one to do the coast to coast ride, did the ride and sold it for a loss of only £10 such was the interest on ebay.

Again part of my rational in buying cheap. I figure the depreciation will be less than a far more expensive machine. That said I have no plans to sell it. I have a list of things I want to upgrade on it though :biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have some fun Dave. looks great. It took me months to get used to the transition back to a road bike from a hybrid. Its worth the effort though .:thumbsup:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
On the brakes thing a simple pads swap may make a difference. Fitting "Kool Stop" pads on my bike after the original Scott ones wore out improved braking a lot ,especially in the rain. Never going to be as good as hydraulic discs though.

Sorry to add to the ever growing list :biggrin: If you arent trying to impress the fashion police I find karrimor cycling jerseys are good practical gear.

Top Bottom