New saddle and a crash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I fitted a new saddle to my bike today. A Brooks C17. I went out on a 20 mile ride to try it out.

I'm very impressed with this saddle. Very comfortable indeed. Surprisingly so in fact.

About 10 miles into the ride I was coming down a hill doing about 28 MPH (I wish I could climb that fast :rolleyes:). At the bottom of the descent there was a tight right turn. As I approached, I saw a load of gravel had been washed into the road from a driveway. I braked hard and managed to shed a load of speed but rolled into the gravel. My front wheel slid out and suddenly I was on the deck.:cry:

The result was a gashed and bruised right knee, a wrenched muscle in my back underneath the left shoulder and a bruised ego. The bike was undamaged and my clothing was OK but, shock and horror, my new saddle was scuffed where it hit the road. That upset me more than anything. I went for home and finished the 20 miles. (A painful part of the ride). The saddle is very nice to ride on and I'm glad I purchased it.

I'm fine. Just need a few days to heal. But my lovely new saddle now looks well used.:angry:
The wife was very sympathetic. "When are you going to learn to ride a bike properly":huh:

Last edited:
Like for the ride , not the crash

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Like roadrash. A like for the ride, not the crash. At least your bike is ok. As for the saddle it will add character to it. ^_^. Glad you like the Brooks by the way.:okay:.

And i hope your war wounds heal soon.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Leather dye might camouflage the damage.

How many cyclists have leaned their brand-new bike against something only to see it roll forwards or backwards and put a scrape on the top tube? It's a rite of passage.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Leather dye might camouflage the damage.
The C17 is rubber not leather :okay:
I have a natural C17 on my Ti & it's not a bad saddle at all, apart from the natural colour shows damp/sweat patches up & if you apply too much cream on your undercarriage it can also transfer onto saddle :blush:
Hoping you have a quick recovery :okay:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I work as a gardener for clients who live on a corner where gravel from their drive migrates into the road. It is a popular route with cyclists through Ston Easton into the Mendip Hills. Part of my brief is to keep the gravel off the road. Do the homeowners know about their hazard, unintentional or not? Liability insurance will be on their house insurance. I’m only surmising of course.

Anyway: I have three C17s. I too love them. I have one that I dyed black using a vegetable dye. The saddle is a vegan offering from Brooks after all. You need to completely remove the rails etc as the salt in the dye could corrode your saddle. The other alternative (that works btw) is to colour the saddle in with a Sharpie permanent marker. A six year old daughter comes in handy for this. Th36 supplied me with a handful nutsfor free once. No not monkey nuts.

I wonder if you contacted Brooks directly, they might be able to supply just the Cambium ‘hammock’?

Mend quickly. Especially your back.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Ach, not a good result (the crash), but I'm pleased to hear you like the C17. I've traditionally used Brooks leather saddles, but I got a C17 for my touring bike a little while ago and I rate it as the best saddle I've ever ridden on.

If yours is a bit scuffed now, maybe consider it as patina rather than damage, and think of it as being personalized?

PK99

Legendary Member
I work as a gardener for clients who live on a corner where gravel from their drive migrates into the road..

that annoys me so much....

I used to design gardens and the failure to put an "apron" of paving on the pavement edge of a gravel drive way, still pisses me off.

Plus, the problem is generally pea shingle - mobile and a cat toilet! Much better to use 20mm

Better still to use this >>
groundGuard.jpg
with pea shingle infill and 20mm topping

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
that annoys me so much....

I used to design gardens and the failure to put an "apron" of paving on the pavement edge of a gravel drive way, still pisses me off.

Plus, the problem is generally pea shingle - mobile and a cat toilet! Much better to use 20mm

Better still to use this >>
View attachment 411174
with pea shingle infill and 20mm topping

I agree. In this case it would entail quite an extensive project. Part of the problem is the cattle grid. I know: How the other half live.

Top Bottom