New Saddle for my wife's tricycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

My wife has a brand new tricycle (a long story, but in a nutshell, she has never owned a bike.... I bought her a dutch bike with loop frame, baskey etc and she was really nervous on it and struggled to balance)

so .... I sold her bike for a big profit, and convinced her to get a tricycle instead. I was hoping that she would opt for a old racing tricycle such as an old Holdsworth or similar but she wanted new

She was keen, did not like the Pashley's as the wheels are too small, and we ended up buying an Ammaco Free and Easy tricycle.... has 26 inch wheels, rear basket etc and does not look like a disability trike (but poor quality though):

413Lqelus2L._SX300_.jpg

she has had it for a few weeks now, and is enjoying it and ramping up the miles (she uses it for fitness and shopping) .... currently, she is cycling 50km per week (mainly on the cycle path), and she now has her own Strava account and really getting into cycling.... she is keen to increase the distance, and I'm hoping that she will be keen to try a tandem with me at some point

one problem though .... the saddle on her trike is causing her discomfort .... It has springs but she is not comfortable on it for the longer distances, and it's really hurting her. Saddle height and saddle position is set right

I told her that perhaps a Brooks Cambium woman's version might be a good option, but when she saw the price, she said no

I googled and saw the Charge Ladle ladies saddle for pretty cheap (£25) (my son has a Charge spoon on his MTB and rates it highly)

any ladies on here that have used this saddle? .... or any other recommendations for a good ladies saddle that is not too expensive? (I told her that perhaps a used Brooks B17 might be a good option)

Attachments

• 413Lqelus2L._SX300_.jpg
    413Lqelus2L._SX300_.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 58
    413Lqelus2L._SX300_.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 53

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My wife has a brand new tricycle (a long story, but in a nutshell, she has never owned a bike.... I bought her a dutch bike with loop frame, baskey etc and she was really nervous on it and struggled to balance)

so .... I sold her bike for a big profit, and convinced her to get a tricycle instead. I was hoping that she would opt for a old racing tricycle such as an old Holdsworth or similar but she wanted new

She was keen, did not like the Pashley's as the wheels are too small, and we ended up buying an Ammaco Free and Easy tricycle.... has 26 inch wheels, rear basket etc and does not look like a disability trike (but poor quality though):

413Lqelus2L._SX300_.jpg

she has had it for a few weeks now, and is enjoying it and ramping up the miles (she uses it for fitness and shopping) .... currently, she is cycling 50km per week (mainly on the cycle path), and she now has her own Strava account and really getting into cycling.... she is keen to increase the distance, and I'm hoping that she will be keen to try a tandem with me at some point

one problem though .... the saddle on her trike is causing her discomfort .... It has springs but she is not comfortable on it for the longer distances, and it's really hurting her. Saddle height and saddle position is set right

I told her that perhaps a Brooks Cambium woman's version might be a good option, but when she saw the price, she said no

I googled and saw the Charge Ladle ladies saddle for pretty cheap (£25) (my son has a Charge spoon on his MTB and rates it highly)

any ladies on here that have used this saddle? .... or any other recommendations for a good ladies saddle that is not too expensive? (I told her that perhaps a used Brooks B17 might be a good option)

I run a B17s on my trike,

trike 004.JPG

Attachments

413Lqelus2L._SX300_.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 54
    413Lqelus2L._SX300_.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 54

steve50

Disenchanted Member
You might be better going down the route of the charge ladle for your good lady, it is far better that she has a week or two of discomfort breaking a saddle in to her own sit bones than someone else, the charge spoon saddle comes highly recommended from a great number of cc members including myself.

OP
OP
dim

dim

What are the issues with the existing saddle? You need to find something that will address those particular issues rather than grasping at straws.

she says that the saddle hurts her ... I have tilted the saddle by 1 degree upwards, moved it back by an inch and she still has problems

today, I cycled with her to the local shops, and rode behind her. She sits right on the back edge of he saddle which could be causing the discomfort. I might try moving the saddle a bit further back and see what happens

perhaps it's just that she needs to ride more and get used to the saddle? .... I have had a lot of cheap used bikes with cheap saddles.... after a while, your arse gets used to the saddle and it's not so bad

my own favourite saddle is the Brooks C17 Cambium Carved which I have on my Giant TCR.... you can ride on this all day without padding/a bib ....

my 2nd best is a Gilles Berthoud Aravis .... not waterproof as it's leather, but comfy straight out of the box ....

if she still struggles with her saddle, I may look at a womans version of the Brooks Cambium Carved (C17-S):

81ZkkHEErmL._SL1500_.jpg

not cheap, but it's waterproof and if I register it on the Brooks website, it has a 10 year guarantee. My LBS in Cambridge (Bicycle Ambulance) allow people to test the new Brooks saddles before buying. Not sure if they have the woman's version, but they are brilliant and I'm sure that they will arrange a demo saddle from Brooks

Attachments

• 81ZkkHEErmL._SL1500_.jpg
    81ZkkHEErmL._SL1500_.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 81ZkkHEErmL._SL1500_.jpg
    81ZkkHEErmL._SL1500_.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom