new saddle ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cat hunter

Regular
Hi there I'm after a new saddle and I'm after some recommendations. I've got a charge spoon that I don't mind but when I ride more than 30 to 40 miles my bum starts to get a bit numb .so i brought a brooks cambium c17 .i really wanted to love this saddle because i loved the look of it on my bike .but man that saddle was uncomfortable i tried it level ,nose down,nose up .but that saddle made my sit bone kill .it felt like sitting on a glass coffee table .so i thought i would give the selle Italia flite max a go .its better than the cambium .but still not great .i know some saddles are good for some people and not so good for others but i just cant find one that i really love . My sit bone measurement is 135mm and its quite boney and i ride a tern p9 and i have my saddle and bars at the same height.in the last couple of years we have cycle toured in Asia a fair bit .but i just cant seem to find one that suits me .any help please would be cool

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Have a look at the Selle smp range offered by uk distributors Dillglove uk

https://www.sellesmp.com/en

I like some of Selle Royal's cheaper non flashy designs.

Many modern saddles strike me as being different for the sake of it and far from relieving pressure seem designed to slice male gonads off like one of those things for extracting tics from skin,

If you have a Decathlon near you I'd look at some of their saddles as well.

Ditto Halfords.

Everyone will tell you that saddles are very personal (true) but the good news is that you don't have to pay a lot for one that's comfortable for you.

U

User169

Fabric might be worth a look. Not outrageously expensive.

Drago

Legendary Member
Alas, this is such a personal thing. Many folk rave about the Spoon, but I'd be more comfortable with a real spoon shoved up my bottom. You'll probably have to make a few intelligent guesses based upon measurements and recommendations before you find the one.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I like some of Selle Royal's cheaper non flashy designs.

Many modern saddles strike me as being different for the sake of it and far from relieving pressure seem designed to slice male gonads off like one of those things for extracting tics from skin,

If you have a Decathlon near you I'd look at some of their saddles as well.

Ditto Halfords.

Everyone will tell you that saddles are very personal (true) but the good news is that you don't have to pay a lot for one that's comfortable for you.
+1 for Selle Royale saddles. I've been through the Charge Spoon and couple of Fabric saddles which were slightly curved and caused numbness after 30+ miles, but I've now found that I need quite a flat saddle. My perch of preference is now a Selle Royale Seta or Fizik Antares (very similar to the Seta and owned by Selle Royal). Can be had very cheaply especially if you look on the 'bay.

Milzy

Guru
Prologo Dimension

. Can be had very cheaply especially if you look on the 'bay.
You mean new or secondhand?
I have bought a few second hand but as new saddles from the bay. Good way to get hold of sensible designs. Might be an idea for cathunter - can always sell on ones that aren't quite right. My most comfortable touring saddle cost me £6 though I had to pay about £3 postage.
Might also be an idea for cathunter to wander in some bike shops and fondle some of the saddles fitted to new bikes. Saddles available separately often overpriced gimmicky imho but some of those bike companies know their stuff and fit good sensible but economic stuff as standard. Two of my best saddles came with bikes, one was available for £15 so discontinued of course. Twas a selle royal.

Specialized 'Avatar Comp Gel' is probably the comfiest saddle I've ever had. Not light at 332g for the 143mm but I can stay out all day without issue (with the saddle). With no two bums being the same it's definitely worth finding a shop or brand with a trial/exchange scheme though, as it can be expensive working your way through perches to find one that fits. Specialized do their 30 day comfort guarantee thing where you can exchange for another of their saddles within that time. Some retailers offer something similar.

Sharky

Guru
A different saddle, may not be the solution to the problem. If you can do 30 to 40 miles before the bum starts to get a bit numb, you're not doing too bad. That's 2 to 3 hrs of riding!

Your bike is a folder? And looks to have a very upright position. This might mean that the bulk of your weight is on the saddle. A typical road/touring bike probably has a longer top tube and stem and allows you to spread weight more evenly between the contact points.

When you hit the bumps and rough surfaces, do you "sit" or let your legs take the vibrations, acting like shock absorbers? After a few hours, legs get tired and more and more weight is taken by the bum/saddle and so numbness creeps in.

Good luck in finding that magic saddle

wonderloaf

Veteran
You mean new or secondhand?
I have bought a few second hand but as new saddles from the bay. Good way to get hold of sensible designs. Might be an idea for cathunter - can always sell on ones that aren't quite right. My most comfortable touring saddle cost me £6 though I had to pay about £3 postage.
Might also be an idea for cathunter to wander in some bike shops and fondle some of the saddles fitted to new bikes. Saddles available separately often overpriced gimmicky imho but some of those bike companies know their stuff and fit good sensible but economic stuff as standard. Two of my best saddles came with bikes, one was available for £15 so discontinued of course. Twas a selle royal.
Secondhand, my current bestest most comfy saddle is a SR Seta, cost me £10 delivered, although stated as 'used' was as new really. Think the seller took it off a new bike. As you say a good way to see if a certain type of saddle suits you, if not just sell it on.

pawl

Legendary Member
If it’s any help I have the Sella Italia Man on my three bikes.I have a similar problem to you ,my right buttock can at times get uncomfortable..Not had So much ofa problem since using this saddle I believe that part of my problem is my ageing bones.
The other thing is the padding in cycling shorts varies in density and size.Back in the day when shorts were lined with Chamy softened with chamy cream and saddles were.leather I never had any problems on all day rides.

Good luck in your quest for comfort.

Top Bottom