New scam.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
This, however, makes zero sense. There is no way to prove that an isolated recording of the word "yes" was said by you, or even by someone on your phone line. So they don't really need you to say yes, they could just record themselves saying "yes" and say it was you. Or just say they have a recording of you saying yes, without actually having one. Or just send you an invoice out of the blue, without a call altogether.

Other scams - which have happened - involve the other party never hanging up, so when you hang up, and then go to call your bank they are still connected, but play you a dial tone and pretend to be your bank so they get your security details to access your accounts. My favourite is they get your PIN and then send a courier to collect your card. It's so ballsy, it's almost admirable. :smile:

Jo Anne Hughes of the Norfolk Police Dept says so (she's going to be a grandma according to Facebook, so good luck Jo Anne) do it must be true.

A simple recording of someone saying yes is enough to make them legally bound to any contract of your choosing.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes. I had a great Aunt who was a teacher (!) but not very IT savvy. She got a phone call to say her PC had a virus, and she needs to pay £18.99 to get it fixed. She was suspicious (!!) but gave her card details anyway (!!!). Luckily for her she then thought better of it, phoned her bank and cancelled the card within 10 minutes. I think she had the £18.99 refunded by the bank. I think she should have been charged £28.99 for being dumb.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This morning got an order confirmation from Amazon saying I had ordered a Tom Tom
I've had these as well, and from PayPal, and from Playstation Network. The e-mails look identical to genuine ones, except the stupidity of the link "click here if you didn't order this and we'll give you a refund".

Lonestar

Veteran
I don't answer anyway.Get too many nuisance calls.Let the answer maching take it and cut off by remote control if I have to.Generally silent calls,though.

Top Bottom