New Scottish Bike Show Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
100 miles in 6hrs :bicycle: Congrats for doing it :thumbsup:

Cheers Col. :smile:

Nice one Dave. I managed just over 5 for the 65 and I was knackered and sore. But actually feel ok today. I really need to get in some hill training. I was trying to pace myself up the hills and was being passed by almost everyone. I did manage to catch and pass most of them on the descents and flats.

I did ok going up the pipe track and Dukes Pass (1st time ever) but the route round Loch Katrine was a bugger, no chance of getting in to any kind of rhythm it was a constant up/down which kind of done me in a bit.

Then the pipe track north to south was a killer. Probably not the steepest or longest of climbs but being able to see all the hurt stretched in to the horizon was nasty.

How'd you like the Glen Fruin climb?

65 is my longest ride, only done a 52 before so i'm pleased with that and even more pleased that MacMillan Cancer Support benefited with over £600 in donations :smile:

That's tremendous Tomba - £600!!!!! - that's a fantastic amount to have raised, very well done! :thumbsup: :becool:

Glen Fruin climb, I'll remember that one for a long time! I've never been in that area or seen Gare Loch or the naval base. The climb was worth the pain, clear views of both sides of the Fruin were spectacular.
The climb itself was certainly a real test, being thrown in after 87 miles of cycling. It ascends 518ft in 1.1 miles making it a Cat 4.
It's been added on Strava as a segment, check it out here.
I thought it was very nice. But I am developing a fondness of hills :crazy:

Tomba

:bravo:Awesome going :thumbsup: Not only for completing the ride but raising so much money for such a worthwhile cause :biggrin:

Thanks Col :smile:

Cheers Col. :smile:

That's tremendous Tomba - £600!!!!! - that's a fantastic amount to have raised, very well done! :thumbsup: :becool:

Glen Fruin climb, I'll remember that one for a long time! I've never been in that area or seen Gare Loch or the naval base. The climb was worth the pain, clear views of both sides of the Fruin were spectacular.
The climb itself was certainly a real test, being thrown in after 87 miles of cycling. It ascends 518ft in 1.1 miles making it a Cat 4.

Thanks Dave :smile:

I cycle the Glen Fruin road quite a bit but not that climb so much. First time I done it was a few weeks after quitting smoking and i'm going up chewing the handlebars about to bail and I see a motorcyclist stopped on one of the hairpins leaning against a wall smoking and I thought fk this i'm not stopping in front of a smoker lol pride got me to the top :smile:

That time is impressive up there. The guy who is KOM I think came second overall yesterday. So third is excellent :smile:

Did you watch for the dodgy cattle grid halfway down the descent on the other side? No idea if it got fixed for the event.

LOL you'll have to go back now, test that fondness of hills and get top spot in the table, strava is addictive like that ;)

edindave

Über Member
Thanks Col :smile:

Thanks Dave :smile:

I cycle the Glen Fruin road quite a bit but not that climb so much. First time I done it was a few weeks after quitting smoking and i'm going up chewing the handlebars about to bail and I see a motorcyclist stopped on one of the hairpins leaning against a wall smoking and I thought fk this i'm not stopping in front of a smoker lol pride got me to the top :smile:

That time is impressive up there. The guy who is KOM I think came second overall yesterday. So third is excellent :smile:

Did you watch for the dodgy cattle grid halfway down the descent on the other side? No idea if it got fixed for the event.

Cheers Tomba, kind words :smile:

You're very lucky to have that landscape practically on your doorstep.

I'd be too stubborn to stop as well :thumbsup: in that motorbike scenario. One guy did stop about 3/4 of the way up on a 14% or so bit - you'd really struggle to get going again and have enough momentum to clip in if you stop on certain sections.

I was watching for the grid on the descent. I dunno if it got fixed, but thankfully the gates had been opened for us on two grids so we could ride round and avoid go over them. One of them at the start of the ascent was pretty mangled though, grills all twisted and gaping potholes at the road-edges, so when I saw it I was expecting the worst on the descent!

Top Bottom