New Scottish Bike Show Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

A 100 mile sportive that runs for a good distance on the A82 ! no thanks.

OP
OP
gmac190

gmac190

Über Member
It only runs a wee bit on the A82 between Tarbet and Crianlanrich, its the A85 and A84 after/ before that :ohmy: It looks like half the route is on trunk roads!!

never been on the A85 / A84? where do they run from / to?? .............just had a look at the google map route (never saw that before) it does look as thought there are a few major roads in this one!! :eek:

zizou

Veteran
would be interested to hear from folk who cycle / drive and know these roads well

Its quite a lumpy route - I've never been on the section between Callander and Crianlarich so dont know that bit too well but the other bits are good. The pipe track out of Drymen, the Dukes Pass at Aberfoyle and then a sting in the tail towards the end going up Glen Fruin. There is also a climb near Loch Earn but dont know how bad it is.

Some of the roads are busy, however despite this they are still popular (and traditional) routes with cyclists in the Glasgow area and west of Scotland more generally so can see why they have made the route choice. In other words i dont think it is a case of a non-cyclist event organiser just plotting some roads on a map which seems to be the case in some other sportives.

Col5632

Guru
Was just about to post up about this event but appears i have been beaten to it :laugh:

Im tempted to give the 65 miler a go, dont think im ready or have the bike for doing 100 miles in 7 or so hours

would be interested to hear from folk who cycle / drive and know these roads well
I was on the A84 today (although just off the route, the Blair Drummond to Stirling section) in a pack (there was 9 of us) with a strong wind behind us, it was OK but fast and busy a road I wouldn't like to be on alone or into a headwind. You can get numpties anywhere but we had wvm overtake us in the the opposing right turn lane, the only problem somebody was turning; unsurprisingly they were less than impressed.

Grizzly

I've never cycled these roads but I know them well. I used them frequently when I was out on the motorbike, when I did the the Police motorbike training and my colleges and I are often sent to these roads for cyclists and motorcyclists.
These are all fast roads and often driven as such, the only section I would say that people do not drive at high speed on is the Aberfoyle to Killmahog and that's because the road is so twisty its hard to get any sort of speed up. Unfortunately that means lots of blind bends though. I wouldn't fancy doing the A82 south of Crainlarach, it's a narrow road and its the main road from Glasgow to Fort William and the north west. There are often buses and HGVs' squeezing (and I mean squeezing) past each other as there is hardly enough room for them to pass.
I would point out though that the scenery will be outstanding, and with it being in April hopefully the roads wont be too busy and as pointed out, its for the experienced rider who knows how to deal with fast traffic.
On the other hand I think the 65 mile route should be great, the loop round Loch Katrine should be very quite.

Tomba

I'm entered for it. Will probably only do the 65 mile event as I dont think I could do the 100 in the 7 hour time limit.
Wish they had made it 8 hours and I would have felt a wee bit more confident of completing.

I stay 5 miles from the start so know the roads reasonably well.
My only concern would be the 100 miler on the stretch of the A82 from Ardlui to Tarbet. This is basically a B road and the lorry/bus/coach traffic can be busy on a Sunday all year. Its about an 8 mile stretch. I'd be a bit wary of riding this on my own.
Near the end of the 100 miler they missed a great climb. At the top of Garelochhead instead of turning off the A814 on to McIntosh Way/Braeface they should've went further on past the next roundabout and turn left up Edinburgh Rd I think its called. Its like a mini Alpe D'Huez http://g.co/maps/dn3sd This is also a quieter road, traffic is non existant.

edindave

Über Member
My only concern would be the 100 miler on the stretch of the A82 from Ardlui to Tarbet. This is basically a B road and the lorry/bus/coach traffic can be busy on a Sunday all year. Its about an 8 mile stretch. I'd be a bit wary of riding this on my own.

I drove to a wedding in Ardlui a few weeks ago and it was scary enough in a VW Golf with 7 airbags.
That stretch of road was quite badly potholed as well.

Saying that I am very interested in this sportive :-)

zizou

Veteran
Near the end of the 100 miler they missed a great climb. At the top of Garelochhead instead of turning off the A814 on to McIntosh Way/Braeface they should've went further on past the next roundabout and turn left up Edinburgh Rd I think its called. Its like a mini Alpe D'Huez http://g.co/maps/dn3sd This is also a quieter road, traffic is non existant.

They had a map of the route on the website last week (which doesn't seem to be there now unless i need my eyes tested!) and it went up that climb. Hope they havent amended it since then because you are right about that road, very nice climb and quiet. Good view of the submarines from the top too!

Top Bottom