New Scottish Bike Show Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomba

They had a map of the route on the website last week (which doesn't seem to be there now unless i need my eyes tested!) and it went up that climb. Hope they havent amended it since then because you are right about that road, very nice climb and quiet. Good view of the submarines from the top too!

zizou, the route is still up on the website http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...d=217422379732870917259.0004b1242e9fac89fcd82

If you zoom in to Garelochhead the route takes a left off the A814, then joins the Auchenvennel/Glen Fruin Rd at the top of the hill. The climb I was on about is a wee bit further on the A814 and then joins back on to the route.
Here is the climb on ridewithgps http://ridewithgps.com/routes/776121 Its only a shortish climb of 1.2miles with an avg of 10.5% and a max of 19%.

BTW, where exactly is the Pipe Track out of Drymen? I've heard it mentioned a few times but dont know it. I know the road pretty well though.

zizou

Veteran
zizou, the route is still up on the website http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...d=217422379732870917259.0004b1242e9fac89fcd82

If you zoom in to Garelochhead the route takes a left off the A814, then joins the Auchenvennel/Glen Fruin Rd at the top of the hill. The climb I was on about is a wee bit further on the A814 and then joins back on to the route.
Here is the climb on ridewithgps http://ridewithgps.com/routes/776121 Its only a shortish climb of 1.2miles with an avg of 10.5% and a max of 19%.

BTW, where exactly is the Pipe Track out of Drymen? I've heard it mentioned a few times but dont know it. I know the road pretty well though.

Thats a disappointment i was sure it had taken in the climb, it is one of my favourite stretches of road going up it then along Glen Fruin.

The Pipe Track is Gartmore road. Basically the road that goes north through Drymen (continues on from the main street) and then up through the forest....although last time i was there alot of the forest had been cut down, so not quite as scenic as it had been previously...still a nice ride though and preferable to the main road to Aberfoyle.

Tomba

Thats a disappointment i was sure it had taken in the climb, it is one of my favourite stretches of road going up it then along Glen Fruin.

The Pipe Track is Gartmore road. Basically the road that goes north through Drymen (continues on from the main street) and then up through the forest....although last time i was there alot of the forest had been cut down, so not quite as scenic as it had been previously...still a nice ride though and preferable to the main road to Aberfoyle.

Thanks for that zizou, I might give it a go this week before the weather gets worse. I'd like to see what the surface is like on the cycle track in to Aberfoyle.

The route still goes along Glen Fruin its just the short climb it misses out :sad: And you're right its a shame as that climb is a lung buster (for me anyway), but once you get over the top its mainly downhill all the way to Loch Lomond.

edindave

Über Member
Some slightly concerning comments on their FB page :unsure:
"The part of the route alongside the A85 is not one I'd take my road bike on - the surface is that shale/grit mix, and was foul stuff when it got wet!"
"I would hesitate using the 23mm Trek!"
"i'll be using a hybrid with 28mm tyres if thats any help to you. Maybe think of getting slick/road style tyres for the MTB to do it in?"

Tomba

Some slightly concerning comments on their FB page :unsure:
"The part of the route alongside the A85 is not one I'd take my road bike on - the surface is that shale/grit mix, and was foul stuff when it got wet!"
"I would hesitate using the 23mm Trek!"
"i'll be using a hybrid with 28mm tyres if thats any help to you. Maybe think of getting slick/road style tyres for the MTB to do it in?"

Dave, the quote about 28mm tyres was me :blush:

Also the first quote needs to be read in context as it was a reply to someone saying they done the Rob Roy Challenge last year and it went alongside the A85 at Glenogle using the NCN7 cycle path, which I think is an old railway track.
If you check out the sportive map at Glenogle/A85 it doesnt go along the cycle path.
I could be wrong though. I think it would be worthwhile emailing the organisers to clarify though.

Part of both routes go along a cycle path according to the routes on the website. From just past Cobleland in to Aberfoyle.
If the rain eases up I was planning to go have a look at that part this week, I'll have my phone so can try and get a couple of pics to let you see what the surface is like.

zizou

Veteran
The bit that there are concerns over is the section i havent ridden so dont know what its like. Google streetview doesnt make it look much worse than a pretty common draggy / bumpy bit of tarmac but looks can be deceptive!

On the 65 mile route the part near Long Ard isn't a great surface either, but it is still rideable with 23s. Wish they would hurry up and resurface that because the loop that goes by there and Loch Katrine / Aberfoyle is otherwise really nice. Beautiful scenary, the Dukes Pass climb and 10 miles virtually traffic free section (and good surface) along Loch Katrine.

edindave

Über Member
Dave, the quote about 28mm tyres was me :blush:

Heh heh! Small world ;)

Also the first quote needs to be read in context as it was a reply to someone saying they done the Rob Roy Challenge last year and it went alongside the A85 at Glenogle using the NCN7 cycle path, which I think is an old railway track.
If you check out the sportive map at Glenogle/A85 it doesnt go along the cycle path.
I could be wrong though. I think it would be worthwhile emailing the organisers to clarify though.

Part of both routes go along a cycle path according to the routes on the website. From just past Cobleland in to Aberfoyle.
If the rain eases up I was planning to go have a look at that part this week, I'll have my phone so can try and get a couple of pics to let you see what the surface is like.

The route map - perhaps it's the way it's been drawn - looks like some of it is 'off-road' in places although not the A85 stretch.

Let's hope it's all on road. That would sway my decision. The thing is it's such a long way off the route will be subject to change between now and then anyway.

But if the organisers could confirm/commit to it being all tarmac road that would do for me! :smile:

Seamab

I cycled this on the Canny Man audax a couple of years back in the Aberfoyle to Drymen direction and it was surprisingly hilly and like most of the Stirlingshire back roads pretty pothole strewn.

I've also cycled the A85 from Lochearnhead to Doune and wouldn't do it again. Nothing wrong with the road - Just too much traffic to be enjoyable.

I've also cycled the A85 from Lochearnhead to Doune and wouldn't do it again. Nothing wrong with the road - Just too much traffic to be enjoyable.

Do you mean the A84? I've cycled the A85 from Lochearnhead to Comrie once and although busy it ICR it being too bad but I had an 80mph gale behind me.

OP
OP
gmac190

gmac190

Über Member
This is a copy of an email I got this morning

Dear all
Entries for TSBS Sportive are filling up nicely for both the sportive and challenge ride. We have had a few enquiries regarding the elevations of both routes which we will be posted online by the end this week.
The start time is still to be officially confirmed, however an 8am start looks likely. Also, we are in the process of extending the 100 mile sportive to within an 8 hour time limit (due to popular demand) as opposed to 7 hours. The challenge ride will remain the same.
We can say there are few tasty climbs on both rides ranging between 10 - 19% gradient, so make sure you are in tip top condition for Sunday 15th April!
More information regarding detailed aspects of both routes will be posted onto the website very soon, so all participants can preview every inch of the rides. The scenery for the 2 rides will be breathtaking and hopefully the weather will reflect this too.
If you haven't already entered, don't worry, there's still time. Sign up before 3rd January 2012 and take advantage of the early bird rate for £21.00 - 65 mile challenge ride & £25.00 - 100 mile sportive.

zizou

Veteran
I dont know about the parking situation at Balloch castle but there is plenty of free parking at Loch Lomond Shores which is about a mile away.

Tomba

This is a copy of an email I got this morning

The start time is still to be officially confirmed, however an 8am start looks likely. Also, we are in the process of extending the 100 mile sportive to within an 8 hour time limit (due to popular demand) as opposed to 7 hours. The challenge ride will remain the same.

Just got that email too gmac, I reckon the 100 is doable for me too now at 8 hours instead of 7 :smile:

Top Bottom