New Scottish Bike Show Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu1903

Über Member
I've signed up for it. It will be my first ever sportive. There is 10 of us and we are doing the 65 mile route and raising money for "Friends of the Beatson" at the same time. www.whiteleewarriors.co.uk

This is a stupid question but I guess this is suitable for a road bike? Sorry for the daft question but as I said this is my first ever sportive.

zizou

Veteran
Yeah will be fine for a road bike. On the 65 mile route there is a short section with potholes etc. The sort of surface you've got to be a bit careful about in a few places rather than have a bunch sprint along it but other than that is is ok. Who knows it might even be resurfaced by then, we can live in hope :biggrin:

stu1903

Über Member
Yeah will be fine for a road bike. On the 65 mile route there is a short section with potholes etc. The sort of surface you've got to be a bit careful about in a few places rather than have a bunch sprint along it but other than that is is ok. Who knows it might even be resurfaced by then, we can live in hope :biggrin:
Thanks for that Zizou. To behonest I'm used to pot holes where I live! Lol

Tomba

I know I said I'd check out the part of the route just after Gartmore/Cobleland into Aberfoyle that looks like it goes down a cycle path. Only had time to get a quick look at it today and it was just some parts of it.

The good news is from the parts I saw it looked like fairly new tarmac :smile:

The bad news is the Pipe Track out of Drymen to Gartmore is a very bad surface with lots of potholes. Granted I only went up it in the car. Going up should be easy enough to avoid the bad bits as its a fairly steep long climb but going down the other side i'd be squeezing the butt cheeks and not taking it full pelt. And if you're on the 65 mile route you have to come back the same road.

I plan to cycle this part of the road pretty soon so i'll report back then. Today there was still some pretty big puddles and run offs frozen over so when it thaws a bit i'll check it out on the bike.

Never got to see the Dukes Pass as the road was closed after the visitor centre :sad:

I live very local to a lot of these roads. The A84 Callander to Lochearnhead - busy, fast, especially so at spring / easter weekends. Section along Loch Lubnaig is twisty with some blind summits especially through the Pass of Leny. Road surface is good to rough.
A85 Lochearnhead to Crianlarich - Steep long climb up Glen Ogle with bends and a big drop on the N side. Fast. Some very good straights after Lix Toll, so a very fast driven road.
A82 south of Crianlarich, a long downhill section which has been straightened out over the years, so a fast road too.
All those roads above - loads of tour buses and logging trucks.
Stronachlachar to Aberfoyle - Recently voted in the local press as Scotland's most potholed road (I kid you not). I have ridden it three times since last Autumn, most recently 2 weeks ago, it is still a bumpy, pot holed, twisting tooth rattler, handle with care (The Trossachs Ton which was supposed to go along this road was last year re-routed OUT of the Trossachs down towards Balfron to completely avoid this road, I heard.)
Many of the roads heraboots have had hundreds of potholes 'filled' with that corn flakes and treacle stuff they spray out a machine, which makes for still rough riding and also lots of loose gravel.
Personally I feel pretty safe riding the main routes on my own, but I think a large bunch could be dodgy, but I am not so experienced with large bunches.
But apart from that it sounds fine. The trouble is that there are not a lot of roads which go to make up a big loop, plenty of dead end quiet glens but no use to a sportive organizer.

Tomba

Rider packs got sent out today. Here's a PDF COPY if anyone wants a look.

edindave

Über Member
Anybody addvise the best place to park for this ? Any help appreciated. Don't know the area at all.

cheers

I'm planning on parking as close to the castle as possible. Probably on a side street or whatever.
Plan B is to park at Loch Lomond Shores. There is a massive car park there about 1km away from the start. Can't see it being busy at that time of day ;o)

Obviously a certain amount of playing it by ear, which is slightly disappointing from a logistical point of view, and more so for those travelling from afar and without local knowledge.

Given the background and exposure of this event I think any more effort could have been made by the organisers.

Tomba

Anybody addvise the best place to park for this ? Any help appreciated. Don't know the area at all.

cheers

Lots and lots of parking. Like edindave said Lomond Shores shopping outlet has plenty. Or the Co-Op here.

Posted this on another forum. For those doing the 100 miler. Just after the last big climb going in to Glen Fruin there is a dodgy cattle grid on a fast descent. The steel grid is not flush and cos its on a fast descent if you hit it at speed it'll be a puncture at the least. I cycled the road the other week and had a squeaky bum moment.
Here's a link to it on Google Maps.
Might be an idea to have a look on street view.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=56.071212,-4.791026&spn=0.002282,0.004823&t=h&z=18

Tomba

I'm planning on parking as close to the castle as possible. Probably on a side street or whatever.
Plan B is to park at Loch Lomond Shores. There is a massive car park there about 1km away from the start. Can't see it being busy at that time of day ;o)

Obviously a certain amount of playing it by ear, which is slightly disappointing from a logistical point of view, and more so for those travelling from afar and without local knowledge.

Given the background and exposure of this event I think any more effort could have been made by the organisers.

Dave i'm quoting you again so you'll read this.

I just saw on another forum there is a half marathon starting in Balloch on Sunday. The organisers are suggesting competitors/family/support use Lomond Shores for parking as thats the start of it.
I read on one Google search the start is 9am so it shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.ballochtoclydebankhalfmarathon.co.uk/index.html

http://scottishrunningguide.com/race_listings.php/15/04/2012/balloch_to_clydebank_half_marathon

edindave

Über Member
Dave i'm quoting you again so you'll read this.

I just saw on another forum there is a half marathon starting in Balloch on Sunday. The organisers are suggesting competitors/family/support use Lomond Shores for parking as thats the start of it.
I read on one Google search the start is 9am so it shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.ballochtoclydebankhalfmarathon.co.uk/index.html

http://scottishrunningguide.com/race_listings.php/15/04/2012/balloch_to_clydebank_half_marathon

Cheers Tomba! :thumbsup:

Coincidentally that's how I know the place; I drove my better half there to do the same running race last year. And then I went to McDonalds. Haha! :mrpig:

Top Bottom