New Set of Disc Wheels..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Just bough a new Trek 4.3 Disc Domane and as usual the wheels are heavy so a replacement is needed but......
the wheel system seems odd because I was expecting to just undo 6 allen key bolts remove disc put the disc on the new wheels tighten up and off you go but the Trek system has it seems no 6 bolts but the disc is put onto the wheel in a slot and a nylon ring nut just like a BB one is tighten up.
So will I have to buy new discs as well and do we have different disc systems on different makes of bike, a bit like the old Betamax and VHS stuff of old..
Is there going to be different systems used? or are the road bike discs going to be all the same? but not the same as mtb..
Cheers

Cyclist33

How desperate are you to fling more cash into a black void of pointlessness?

Just looked up the stock tyres, weigh in at 362 g each, there is a smorgasbord of tyres on the market that would save you over 200 g in total at the wheel perimeter, easier than fannying about with bolts, and will cost you far less money, eg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-lithion-2-tyres-grey-23c-free-tubes/rp-prod122089

Jody

Stubborn git
They are centrelock discs. If your new hubs are bolt on then yes you will need new discs also.

Cyclist33

I have taken the OE tyres off right from the start and have Conti 4000 fitted..

Okay, so what benefits are you going to get from new wheels? Don't say aesthetics because your op says you need to replace them because they're heavy.

And disc wheels look crap anyway on a road bike, particularly on the front wheel.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Okay, so what benefits are you going to get from new wheels? Don't say aesthetics because your op says you need to replace them because they're heavy.

And disc wheels look crap anyway on a road bike, particularly on the front wheel.

Disc brakes look alright to me, but the weight is the issue.

Cyclist33

And the issue is?

I've no wish to reopen the great wheel debate of 2015, but how much are you wanting to spend and how is this going to affect your La Vuelta chances?

Cyclist33

Why can't the guy just buy new wheels if he wants them, without justifying to the CC Court of cycling expenditure???

Who's asking him to justify a budget? I'm just asking what that budget is and genuinely interested in looking for a solution so he can win the KOM stages or the penultimate stage time trial.

By the way, mathematical explanations of the actual benefit of an upgrade does not constitute a court. Its called technical advice, God forbid that bicycle riders should welcome that!

Cyclist33

People often use the word need when they really mean want.

True, and equally often people use the word heavy when they really mean "I don't like the look of them".

Honesty is the best policy. There's no shame in desire at all, but it is a shame if people try to pass desire off as necessity.

Top Bottom