New Set of Disc Wheels..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
That 3kg would certainly have cost you a handful of seconds, potentially. Were you being timed?

Dare I say it but its Strava, I'm one of those that need to try and better my times.. I do think in fact a heavier bike is good for training so I could of put up with a 9kg bike but 10 kg is just a bit too much for me.. :okay:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Well... He already did in the original post. He said the wheels were heavy as usual so needed replacing.

The justification came first in this instance. I want to get into the specifics so I can look for a solution.

To be honest it would've been much, much easier to suggest some options if Boon had said he wanted to replace the wheels for the sheer heck of it.

But, he didn't.

Stu

Well for the sheer hell of it is plan B

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I am not familiar with the sport of Quarry Climbing so I don't know if it is a timing sport or sport where you get points for technique, but let me assure you, if I was in a quarry that's 52 Degrees C, I'll also try and get out there as quickly as possible.

Its not quarry climbing as such its just the road drops down through a quarry and up again the other side..( I do live on a mountain by the way)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The usual planks already trying to turn the thread into nonsense

Get some handbuilt wheels from dcr - hsons on novatechs are very smooth to ride, with some nice gp4000s II addourning them or if wanted to go carbon, shimano do a rx830 which are a pretty penny

Get some handbuilt wheels from dcr - hsons on novatechs are very smooth to ride, with some nice gp4000s II addourning them or if wanted to go carbon, shimano do a rx830 which are a pretty penny
Hello Jowwy, feeling grumpy today, are we?

Thanks for the tip on what wheels are smooth to ride. It is hard to find round wheels nowadays.:okay:

winjim

Smash the cistern

Are either of those wheelsets significantly lighter than what the OP already has, and what type of disc rotor attachment do they have?

jowwy

Are either of those wheelsets significantly lighter than what the OP already has, and what type of disc rotor attachment do they have?
They would be 6bolt discs and lighter than whats on the trek currently, how much lighter is upto how you get the hsons built

The rx830 is lighter, but adds some carbon bling to the situation, everyone likes a bit of bling

Cyclist33

They would be 6bolt discs and lighter than whats on the trek currently, how much lighter is upto how you get the hsons built

The rx830 is lighter, but adds some carbon bling to the situation, everyone likes a bit of bling

The bonts spec sheet says 1720 g that's not included disc bits. I expect archetypes + novatec in the £300 price bracket isn't going to massively alter that even at low spoke. Prove me wrong though.

Anyway as said, that wasn't the question, sorry for dragging it off topic.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Took the wheels off my SL 8 these are Mavic Elite S which are 1520 with added tyres, tubes, cassette and skewers they weighed in at 2460 the Domanes wheels without the axles weighed in at 3190 with tyres etc.. 730 g more (without axles)

Looked at evans website and they said this.. Trek disc wheel 700 g front and 1020 rear so I took the Trek front wheel off the bike and took the tyre and tube off and weighed it and it weighed 1020 g.... 302 g more than stated so I'm thinking the rear would be 400 g more making the 730 g difference.

So I'm looking for about 1520 ish disc wheels with the centrelock system.. Mavic do a Kysrium Pro disc at 1520 which are 6 bolt or centre lock and I need the centrer lock type.
Or something of course..

jowwy

Took the wheels off my SL 8 these are Mavic Elite S which are 1520 with added tyres, tubes, cassette and skewers they weighed in at 2460 the Domanes wheels without the axles weighed in at 3190 with tyres etc.. 730 g more (without axles)

Looked at evans website and they said this.. Trek disc wheel 700 g front and 1020 rear so I took the Trek front wheel off the bike and took the tyre and tube off and weighed it and it weighed 1020 g.... 302 g more than stated so I'm thinking the rear would be 400 g more making the 730 g difference.

So I'm looking for about 1520 ish disc wheels with the centrelock system.. Mavic do a Kysrium Pro disc at 1520 which are 6 bolt or centre lock and I need the centrer lock type.
Or something of course..
Proves the numpties wrong - well done mr boon

jowwy

Thank you kind sir..
If looking to spend kysirium pro money - then look at the rx830 from shimano as they will be centre lock disc, so no need to spend extra on new discs

Or go the full shamonka and get zipp, fwd, enve, reynolds as the all make nice carbon disc wheels :okay:

Cyclist33

Proves the numpties wrong - well done mr boon

No it doesn't, although I'm glad the op has now done a bit more research of their own.

It does indicate that my original stab in the dark of 2.2 kg was about right, and so to get down towards 8.5 Kg you've got to shed a kg off the wheels. Or more. Good luck!

Top Bottom