New Shed Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Need a decent garden shed, ( £100 🙀) mainly to clear all the junk from the garage so I can make it into a bike haven.

So, help me out, please. I’m thinking 8’ x 10’, windows on one side, door in one 8’ end.

Questions: Do I go for pent or pitched roof? Single width or double door?

Anything else to consider?

Dan77

A decent 8 x 10 garden shed for £100? If you find one then let me know because I'll have one too. £500 would be cheap.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My 7 x 5 was around £1,000 if I remember correctly. Good luck getting something for £100 unless you can find one that someone wants rid of it and you will have to dismantle and remove it yourself.

screenman

Legendary Member
My 16 x 8ft cost me about £800 in materials 12 years ago, it is quite sturdy. Look for second hand but make sure the person selling it too you is the owner.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For me the main (related) considerations are...
  1. A cheapo wooden shed isn't going to offer much security for your bike(s).
  2. Insurance probably won't pay up for (a) bike(s) stolen from a cheapo wooden shed!
I read it as the OP wants to clear junk from his garage in to the shed to create space for his bikes! Entirely reasonable approach to life. 😂

Either way he won't get a shed for £100. I think I paid £6-700 for mine.

@Mo1959's suggestion is the best option. I'm the fourth owner of my greenhouse. Each time it's been carefully dismantled and rebuilt by the new owner - recycling at its best.👍

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Unless your original post is a typo then you’ll need to save up a bit!
10’ x 8’ at Screwfix £639;
https://www.screwfix.com/p/forest-8-x-10-nominal-apex-overlap-timber-shed/655jr

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Ooooops, sorry, £1000 plus something to erect it.

Will be coming from here: http://halstocksheds.co.uk/sheds/

Spec looks good, frame made from 3”x2”, most of the cheaper stuff is 2”x1.5”. They‘ll build to any spec/design, within reason, but I‘m unsure whether to go pent (flat) roof or pitched. Single door or double in one end? Landscaper man came round last night to quote for levelling a bit of the garden to put it on.

To clarify, shed will be for garden tools, old solidified tins of paint, general ‘stuff‘, and possibly a couple of pub bikes. Decent bikes will stay in the garage, best bikes will live in the house! Security not really an issue - we‘re at the end of a 350m very steep single track lane, surrounded by trees and no immediate neighbours.

Last edited:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I would choose a pent shed myself. Windows are nothing more than an alternative entry point for thieves, so I wouldn’t bother with them personally.

Dan77

I would always go for an apex roof at that sort of size. Less water running over one piece of felt and better run off. Plus you get some extra height and if you put a timber or some wire across at each rafter you can even store some longer items in the roof void. Got my ladders and a kids bike up in the void in our little shed.

A single door is likely to be more secure...or at least easier to make more secure. Double doors easier to pry open.

Top Bottom