New Shed Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you're gonna need a bigger shed. sorry, couldn't resist. but seriously congrats, I would love to move from our condo, to a house with a yard & a shed! maybe 2 sheds, 1 for the lawn stuff & 1 just for the bikes!

bike shed.jpg

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My 8x 6 pent roof came from Tiger sheds in West Yorkshire very pleased . They deliver country wide , I'm in Hertfordshire the shed was cheaper and higher spec than one from a local shed and fencing company.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Aye, don't go cheap. I bought my 5m x 2m shed 1 month before I started work for a nails company supplying shedbuilders :sad: £800

1) Pent for all the reasons given plus simpler construction leads to less possible points of failure.
2) If just for storage, don't have windows but if you do, make sure they're properly installed (not a sheet of glass with a single bead of glue running mostly along the bottom)

3) Check the framing. Mine is 2X2" rough sawn white softwood.

4) Roof - should be boards, not planks. Planks shrink and stretch the felt. I currently have a tarpaulin roof :sad:

5) nails - ask about the galvanisation. Triple Life or Hot Dipped is good, Stainless is best. Bright nails or barely galvanised will leave streaks

Joey Shabadoo

By the way, shed companies have had an incredibly good year. The better ones have full order books until the spring.

Joey Shabadoo

ppl staying home doing more home projects. I can just hear some ppl say to themselves: "I have to stay home? I'm getting the shed I always wanted"
Anecdotally, that's what I'm hearing. Money that would have been spent on holidays is going on sheds, fences, gardens etc.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Aye, don't go cheap. I bought my 5m x 2m shed 1 month before I started work for a nails company supplying shedbuilders :sad: £800

1) Pent for all the reasons given plus simpler construction leads to less possible points of failure.
2) If just for storage, don't have windows but if you do, make sure they're properly installed (not a sheet of glass with a single bead of glue running mostly along the bottom)
View attachment 562708

3) Check the framing. Mine is 2X2" rough sawn white softwood.
View attachment 562709

4) Roof - should be boards, not planks. Planks shrink and stretch the felt. I currently have a tarpaulin roof :sad:
View attachment 562710

5) nails - ask about the galvanisation. Triple Life or Hot Dipped is good, Stainless is best. Bright nails or barely galvanised will leave streaks
View attachment 562714
looks like those roof beams are bowing a bit under the pressure.......the roof beams on mine are 2x6 and can take my weight easy walking over the top when re-felting last summer

Anecdotally, that's what I'm hearing. Money that would have been spent on holidays is going on sheds, fences, gardens etc.
I have a 2nd job, part-time, at a big box home improvement store. I took several months off to reduce my exposure, but went back after about 5 months. minimal hours, but it's nice to see friends again. a little cash doesn't hurt either. but what I found out was that the store "made plan" while I was away, meaning sales were where they should be for that stretch. there was no reduction in sales. this wold jive with your comments above, I think

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Toasty in my shedoffice !
Yeh mine is all thermalised and heated, but I would get wet and cold on the 30 second walk down to it lol......but I may use it in spring/summer as it has internet, computer, tv etc etc down there

Top Bottom