new shoes and pain in the foot !?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

Ive got a pair of Spez BG Elite shoes and when using them with some SPD540 pedals on my right foot the right outside edge of my foot really aches when on the bike like a cramping pain.

I'm not sure if its the cleat position I have moved it a few times but no joy, any ideas ??

I have the same - and put it down to the sloping footpaths which tend to encourage the right foot to tilt over so putting pressure on the outside of the foot just below the little toe.

If this is the case then try keeping the foot level by bringing the knee inwards slightly towards the top tube.

sticky sherbert

Are they wide enough, I find most bike shoes quite narrow (I have wide feet) and that's the sort of pain I had trouble with until I found a wider fitting pair.

yumpy

I don't know if this is widely known or easily adjustable, but I was reading somewhere recently about trying to match the angle of the shoe to the angle you run/walk at. Thats the looking end on at your foot angle from the front.

ie. if you have a natural walking/running style that wears out one side of your heel or shoe more than the other, then you need to tilt your shoe or foot with shims to give the same angle for your foot on your bike, or you'll run into trouble.

This may be the last step to take though - I guess if you haven't got a marked wear on your normal shoes it isn't an issue anyway.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
yumpy said:
I don't know if this is widely known or easily adjustable, but I was reading somewhere recently about trying to match the angle of the shoe to the angle you run/walk at. Thats the looking end on at your foot angle from the front.

ie. if you have a natural walking/running style that wears out one side of your heel or shoe more than the other, then you need to tilt your shoe or foot with shims to give the same angle for your foot on your bike, or you'll run into trouble.

This may be the last step to take though - I guess if you haven't got a marked wear on your normal shoes it isn't an issue anyway.

Yes your right yumpy my running shoes are fitted to my running style.

I think its just the design of the shoe maybe ill try loosening the straps slightly see how that goes and like mentioned above bring my knee in slightly.

Thanks all

bottombracket

Double check (or is it triple check by now :biggrin:) your cleat alignment...

I had a problem with one foot - outer edge near my toes - until I tweaked the angle of that cleat.

I used these methods to try to suss the correct angle:

Jump up and down a few times...:laugh:
When you land - look down at your feet...
You can see the angle your feet are at.
Cleats would point straight ahead.

Sit on a table or high stool and let your legs dangle (good reason to visit the pub ;)).
Imagine a line going straight thru the foot front to back, thats your cleat angle.

My feet are at different angle, heels in - the right foot angled more - possibly as a result of a crash where I cracked my kneecap.

P.S. the sloping footbed on the BG shoes is supposed to counter pronation - the natural alignment of the foot.

Lift your leg and let your foot dangle loosely, you'll see that the foot naturally hangs pinky-toe down...

Without the sloping footbed you are using some muscle or other to stabilise your knee.
But as with everything - one size don't fit all...
P.S. I love the Spesh BG shoes!

zacklaws

Guru
I had a similar problem, but found it was caused by opening the straps completely to look inside my shoe one day and when I refastened the strap nearest the toes on one shoe I very slightly overtightened it, when I slackened it off and fastened it in the well worn mark where it was always fastened it sorted the problem.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
As an update I have found slightly loosening off the top strap seems to have sorted it. I think being as there are quite stiff it took some time getting used to them.

I have not experienced and knee pain and am happy with my cleat position which I also got the lbs to look at also.

All in all im quite impressed with the Spesh BG shoes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As Cubist writes, Specialized BG shoes actually incorporate a wedge to suit the 85% of the population who need a wedge to compensate for cant. Unfortunately this means that if you're one of the 15% who need compensation in the opposite direction you've got a problem!

Sorry, I can't remember which way is the 85% and which way the 15% but a bit of reading on the web ought to make it clear to you. Have a careful look at the Spesh website for a start.

(Just read the link and I think the shoes have a varus wedge as standard. You might need valgus.)

Top Bottom