New Singletrack in Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Glad you posted these pics' MAC. I was planning on heading out to this new track on Sunday with Mrs ILS and kids in tow but it looks as though the track is so new it isn't finished yet??? The kids wouldn't mind much but Mrs ILS would not be happy at having to scrabble across the muddy unfinished bits (or is it not as bad as it looks?). Quite surprised they let you into a live working area, what with elf'n'safety being what it is nowadays.
The North section is complete but not signed yet and that is much faster with some decent jumps.Be wary letting any 'recreational' rider tackle it without viewing it first. Its needs taking at a decent pace or you will come a cropper!

The section nr the digger is short but is quite precarious in parts with lots of loose rubble. There are loads of other cycleable trails around the area though - some dedicated MTB trails - although none as long and fast as these two sections.

The first time I went down I spoke to two workmen who were more than happy to tell all about trail and let me proceed. The next day there was more work done but just the equipment and no workers. There are also no signs restricting access!^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Be wary letting any 'recreational' rider tackle it without viewing it first. Its needs taking at a decent pace or you will come a cropper!

LOL. Me and the kids rode around the red trail at Sherwood Forest Pines a couple of weeks ago. Description states "... a physical and mental challenge..... suitable for better quality offroad mountain bikes only...... requires a high level of skill and fitness"
I reckon I could have easily piloted my road tyre shod hybrid around apart from the odd muddy spot and my 6yr old son loved it with nothing too challenging for him. They have an 'easier' blue trail too :rolleyes:

I expect our northern trails to be a bit more.... red?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry, my Dad existed miserably for some years in a mental hospital so I feel qualified to use the term.

Went down there yesterday in the car and once I'd found my way round the back of the school and the rugby club and over the M60 bridge I discovered a network of old driveways dating from the time when there was a big estate there belonging to the Phillips family. Couldn't get my car down the cycle track sadly, but it looks as if work is nearly complete and a fair bit of lolly has been spent on it too.

I also went round the back of the Prestwich ASDA and tried to find my way onto Tottington Lane but was thwarted by barriers at the main hospital entrance. I used to ride down in the valley with the Leisure Lakes crew in the bad old days.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Glad you bumped this Fossy, I'd forgotten all about it. I'm working odd shifts and the kids are on holiday so a visit here could well be on the cards this week or next, midweek. We went back to Sherwood Pines forest last week and did the whole red route plus about an hour playing in the Dirt Jump Zone (see thread in family cycling). I don't think me and kids have anything to fear on this track?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Still not officially open and they've put barricade fencing across parts of it.

Gaz Vickers

photo.php
59974_222571401212127_789180175_n.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
Awesome. 3.5km may not be long, but I bet you could put some right thrashing laps on that! @Gaz Vickers I take it it's up and running then? It might be the ideal place to try and get my hip working again....

Edit
Just checked and it's just over 20 miles from my house. What's the forecast for next weekend?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hi Darrell :smile:

Looks interesting with my children. I take it it's not Phillips Park near the velodrome ?

Could be a little out of my way if its Bury

Anyone got a map link ? Maybe a train station is close by ?

Speaking of near the velodrome. Clayton Vale is having a MTB track cut into it now too . The Vale isn't massive, maybe a mile end to end so it won't be huge, I'll have a look if there's any maps or plans, its a place I commute through so don't get the local mailshots

Gaz Vickers

Awesome. 3.5km may not be long, but I bet you could put some right thrashing laps on that! @Gaz Vickers I take it it's up and running then? It might be the ideal place to try and get my hip working again....

Edit
Just checked and it's just over 20 miles from my house. What's the forecast for next weekend?
From what I can gather its due open any time now. I think there are Some very tricky parts and Some easy parts. Im sure someone will know more than me.

Top Bottom