New Smart USB lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Yeah my mates rear didn't last very long also.

:giggle:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
quick update on the Smart 700 battery life. It ran ~4 hours on its 1st ever charge before the power warning started flashing and was still going strong >1/2 an hour later when I got back in and put it onto charge, it had been running all the time on full power. Very pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a couple of hours at most on full beam. The set up of the reflector giving the throw of light, whilst good enough, could be better but I'm confidently using it as my to see by light in properly dark conditions.

I strongly suspect the Cateye Volt 700 would give a better throw of light and more pound for pound illumination to the road(*) than the smart 700 but really don't think the Volt is worth £60 odd more.

(*) based on a year of owning & using the volt 300 and a side by side go with the Volt's 300 & 700 in Evans blacked out staff canteen.

carcharodon

The Cateye Volt 700 has a fairly focused spot beam. The 300, 400 and 700 have scored highly in reviews.

I have the Smart 700 usb for around a year now...I really like the long run-times and use it on medium, low, and strobe for daytime use. Not sure I will use strobe settings anymore... (6hrs/350lumen,10hrs/220lumen) it does not seem to get hot on the medium setting. I rarely use the maximum setting. Plenty of light power for total darkness.
The beam pattern is spread and you can see about 20 metres in front of you, personally I would rather a more 'spot' beam with a bit more throw...having said that, it was only 30 GBP's...a bargain.Anyway, am really happy with it.
The wide beam pattern probably makes it a better light for cornering / off road / paths etc. The downside is you are more likely to annoy others.
I've got a collection of Smart Lunar's: 35 lux, 60 lux and a Blaze 2 watt, all have the same mounts so with 2 mounts I usually run the 700 with the 60.
All the Lunars are very much focused spot beams. (maybe the Blaze - less so) The 60 is amazing for a 2 x AA powered light! Can't really tell the difference between the 35/60...
Planet x are selling Lunar 60's for peanuts at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom