New Smart USB lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Which ones need depleting fully before charging and which ones don't? I seem to remember there is a difference between li on and ni cad, to do with memory or something?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Must be a typo then. I work in the remote controlled car industry, where Li-Fe, LiPo, and to a lesser extent Li-Ion batteries are now being used more prevalently compared with the traditional NiMH batteries. 1000 charge cycles is typical.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Which ones need depleting fully before charging and which ones don't? I seem to remember there is a difference between li on and ni cad, to do with memory or something?

NiCad typically require a full discharge before charging. Li-Ion typically require a full discharge & recharge every 20 charging cycles.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
NiCad typically require a full discharge before charging. Li-Ion typically require a full discharge & recharge every 20 charging cycles.
This I guess could be a problem for bike lights in that you will probably keep them topped up so you don't get caught out thus never depleting them fully?

albion

Guru
Some of the electric cars do 3000 charges but being Lithium they are more likely totalling 6000 half charges.
Deplete the things too often and I bet you will be lucky to reach 100.

I'm not sure how they do it but I know that if you are able to charge to 80% then 1000+ charges is the norm as opposed to general normal of 300 charges at 100%. Early failure is down to contamination.

I'm quite dubious on that 'refresh on 20 charging cycles' thing for Li-On. I suspect it is just so your gauge is more accurate.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Hi Lilliburlego,

I tried swapping the mounts although not having much success. I can mount the rear light on the side of the saddle post although am concerned light might fall out of mounting if angled downwards or dazzle drivers behind me if angled upwards at them.

Do you know if it's ok to angle the rear light upwards slightly?

The Rover

Guru
Hi Lilliburlego,

I tried swapping the mounts although not having much success. I can mount the rear light on the side of the saddle post although am concerned light might fall out of mounting if angled downwards or dazzle drivers behind me if angled upwards at them.

Do you know if it's ok to angle the rear light upwards slightly?

I've just put mine at the top of the seat stay as I also use a saddle bag but as you've said it leaves it angled upwards and I could imagine it causing an issue for drivers, in particular if sat waiting at lights and/or a junction etc. I wouldn't be too happy with a red laser light shining upwards towards me! ( a bit dramatic but you get the point )
I might just keep it as a spare as I've got far too many lights and I think the front light was worth the £16 anyway.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I've just put mine at the top of the seat stay as I also use a saddle bag but as you've said it leaves it angled upwards and I could imagine it causing an issue for drivers, in particular if sat waiting at lights and/or a junction etc. I wouldn't be too happy with a red laser light shining upwards towards me! ( a bit dramatic but you get the point )
I might just keep it as a spare as I've got far too many lights and I think the front light was worth the £16 anyway.

Bad news for me...I haven't even used the lights on the bike yet and the front one is faulty. I put it in charge and now it won't stay on. The light only comes on if you hold the button down.

So glad this didn't happen on a commute. E-mail has been sent to Halfords Customer Services. Not good.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Just ordered one of the Smart 700 lumen lights to test, and as a potential replacement for my ageing RSP asteri 3's (still going after 4 years of regular use - but showing their age now).

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Bad news for me...I haven't even used the lights on the bike yet and the front one is faulty. I put it in charge and now it won't stay on. The light only comes on if you hold the button down.

So glad this didn't happen on a commute. E-mail has been sent to Halfords Customer Services. Not good.

Thats not good... I wouldnt bother with an email i`d just take them into the shop and swap them for a new set or get your money back. I`v done this a few times with a helmet, lock and pump with no hassle at all.

I`ll post some pics regarding the rear light mounting later.

I`v sent you a pm btw.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Right..time to claim my thread back:smile:

After a savage attack of man flu, a pile of rubbish at work and the usual excuses I am getting to grips with the smart 700.

Somewhat obviously the first conclusion is that it is a Smart light but a 700 lumen one. By which I mean it looks feels and operates pretty much like every other smart front light: same plastic, same mount, same size approx as the old 35 lux, just with a whole lot more light.

This is great: it is a handy amount of light for unlit paths and for thar time when it just turns dawn and a low powered light gets washed out but you need a bit more light to see.

It is also a bit of a concern: Smart lights are not the most robust in the world and while this does have some metal bits these are die cast (?) rather than Lezyne style CNC alu. Nor is the beam shape on a par with,say, a B+M light.,

Will it replace my pair of Vision 1s for my on road commute? Probably not, the V1s are pretty bombproof, I need this day in day out and Hope have sorted out the one problem I had with them without fuss or indeed charge.

would 1 chose the Smart for a dark 3 hour ride down unlit lanes? Certainly.

If I did not have the V1s or the Smart which would I go for? Much as I love my V1s for the price of one, the batteries and the charger you could get three of the Smarts. You would need to be very attached to made in the UK or concerned about the disposable nature of the Smart not to grab one or two.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just bought another set of the halfords ones, £16 was too good to miss, had to do click and collect though as they didn't have any in.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Just bought another set of the halfords ones, £16 was too good to miss, had to do click and collect though as they didn't have any in.

Whilst these appear to be great lights, my £16 Halfords light set lasted a little over a week; the front light became faulty after it's first charge using the USB lead. Maybe I was unlucky but thought I'd warn you.

Top Bottom