New Smart USB lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The cateye volt ones aren't built in

Thanks for the reply.

I must say that I cannot see any advantages for usb rechargeables.

No advantages for the user i mean.

I continue to be mystified by their appeal.

andyfraser

Über Member
Thanks for the reply.

I must say that I cannot see any advantages for usb rechargeables.

No advantages for the user i mean.

I continue to be mystified by their appeal.
I plug mine into my computer at the office. That way they're fully charged for when I go home in the dark. I don't have to carry a charger and look for a plug socket.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I plug mine into my computer at the office. That way they're fully charged for when I go home in the dark. I don't have to carry a charger and look for a plug socket.

But is that really a problem.
My commuting lights (2 Hope Vision 1's and a cateye 5 LED Rear) I charge them once a week at home.
I'm with Mr @Blue Hills on this one. Can't see the point. UNLESS... you need one of those huge lumen jobbies that burn a million candles etc for non lit roads and only last an hour.
But hey ho.. each to their own and that.

andyfraser

Über Member
But is that really a problem.
My commuting lights (2 Hope Vision 1's and a cateye 5 LED Rear) I charge them once a week at home.
I'm with Mr @Blue Hills on this one. Can't see the point. UNLESS... you need one of those huge lumen jobbies that burn a million candles etc for non lit roads and only last an hour.
But hey ho.. each to their own and that.
Most of my commute is unlit so I do need a bright light (400 lumens, should last 1hr 30mins) and I need to know they're going to keep going until I get home. There are virtually no footpaths so if I have to walk due to light failure I'll be walking in the road. I have backup lights. The rear backup should keep me safe but the front isn't bright enough to light my way, just to make sure I can be seen.

. I don't have to carry a charger and look for a plug socket.

Have plug sockets suddenly become rare? You could buy a good charger for the price of one of those essentially disposable lights and keep it at work. And the cells you charged in said charger would hold more power.

I bought them as they sounded cool and funky.................

aha - this is the key triumph of the marketeers of those things. And they know you'll be coming back for another one after the battery - either built-in or a custom jobby - degrades. For all batteries do. Including rechargeable AA and AAAs, But no problem getting new ones of those easily. And if you don't have any spare rechargeables with you - hey, slot in some normal high power cells to get you home.

It hasn't escaped my notice that in shops the USB lights are in prime position on the display. Standard retail tactic.

I also reckon that anyone who buys one has their name sold to the people who make cartridge (dedicated of course) coffee machines, Because of course the bean is so yesterday.

Sorry if I come across as a bit scathing - not meant to be personal - but I'd leave the things alone.

As Mr Rauk says, Hope Vision 1 for the high power stuff (batteries die - slot in another preloaded AA-battery holder full of batteries) - Smart and Cateye do some excellent AA lights for city use. Sorted. And they are small enough.

andyfraser

Über Member
Have plug sockets suddenly become rare? You could buy a good charger for the price of one of those essentially disposable lights and keep it at work. And the cells you charged in said charger would hold more power.
Or I can just plug my lights into a USB port until the green light stops flashing.

Well, your choice - this will just go round in circles.

I'd urge others to stick to AA or AAA though.

I can recommend some city lights if anyone interested.

Hope Vision 1 as Mr Rauk says for anything else.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I can recommend some city lights if anyone interested.

Please do.... I am looking at the Cateye Volt 700, or perhaps running 2 x Volt 300. Not fused if AA or AAA rechargeable or USB rechargeable. Rear light suggestions also welcome. Im currently running 2x Cateye Rapid X fronts on my forks, and a Cateye Rapid X rear light on my seat tube. Ideally I would like to keep these in pulse mode (or similar) as 'be seen' lights, and would like something with a bit more intensity front & rear as statics.

As for benefits of USB charging... Primarily weight savings, Li-Ion batteries weigh significantly less than NiMH batteries. Almost every USB rechargeable battery I have looked at online has been Li-Ion. Both types of battery are good for up to 1000 charge cycles. Secondly Li-IOn batterys hold a charge for longer when not in use, although there have been major advances in NiMH technology where this isnt quite as big a benefit as before. Sanyo Eneloop batteries (NiMH) would be the brand of choice for me.

I fear you may be looking for something that screams "advanced" but i'd take a look at the cateye rapid 3 front and back if, as you say, you are looking fir city lights.

Plus points:

Cheap - good discounts available at the moment

Small, hardly bigger in practical than some of the supposedly trendy button cell lights you could lose in an orifice.

Run off a single AA battery - AA holds more charge than AAA and again hardly bigger unless you are obsessive.

Nice on-off button action - hard to switch on accidentally - take note mr ****ing knog.

Easy to change batteries - take note mr uber cool ***ing knog - some of your early efforts in particular a disgrace.

Easy availability of spare mounts for mounting on difference bikes and in different locations on bike or clothing/packs.

Use of a single battery avoids issues with battery charge balancing if you are using rechargeables.

Very good flash pattern - two flash patterns - one very noticable - try riding behind one. Steady mode not recommended.

Front light takes up little handlebar space and is out front.

But as i said i fear that if you count the weight of your batteries as an issue (if male are you sure you really need two testicles?) this will all count for little.

Yes, some of the newer batteries that hold charge for longer are neat, but not a priority if you are using them for commuting where you will regularly and rapidly burn them down. And low discharge batteries tend to have lower capacities to start with.

Last edited:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I fear you may be looking for something that screams "advanced" but i'd take a look at the cateye rapid 3 front and back if, as you say, you are looking fir city lights.

The majority of my commute is along a canal towpath which has reasonable lighting in places & poor in others. Whilst I believe the current lights do a superb job of keeping me & my immediate area around me very noticeable, I do feel i need something with a little more 'oomph', especially at the front where I would like to avoid dog mess & patches of iced over puddles. Weight savings for me are not the 'be all & end all'. I would much rather have a rock solid reliable & waterproof unit, which does not take up too much space on my handlebars/seat post, irrespective of weight. The bike comes into my home & into my workplace, so the lights can stay fixed almost indefinitely. These lights will remain in a constant on mode, so would require a minimum of 2 hours run time on its highest setting.

Top Bottom