New spokes or new wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinbearvalley

Marin bear valley - Broken enough spokes now and remaining ones probably not in best shape. It's the standard wheel that came with the bike? After advice whether to get all the spokes replaced and wheel re-trued or buy a new wheel. Wheel otherwise fine. Is it an easy decision?

Marin bear valley - Broken enough spokes now and remaining ones probably not in best shape. It's the standard wheel that came with the bike? After advice whether to get all the spokes replaced and wheel re-trued or buy a new wheel. Wheel otherwise fine. Is it an easy decision?

There are some missing that haven't been replaced already? Depending on the state of the wheel at this point, I'd ask your LBS opinion to see if they think they can true it up again properly. You may be lucky.

It really isn't a good idea to ride with spokes missing. Sometimes you have to if one has just broken, but the wheel will be stressed in ways that it isn't supposed to be stressed...so try not to.

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

There are some missing that haven't been replaced already? Depending on the state of the wheel at this point, I'd ask your LBS opinion to see if they think they can true it up again properly. You may be lucky.

It really isn't a good idea to ride with spokes missing. Sometimes you have to if one has just broken, but the wheel will be stressed in ways that it isn't supposed to be stressed...so try not to.

No, sorry. I meant that I have replaced 3 or 4 spokes over the past year or two. I am not particularly skilled in doing this (or have the right tools) but have always managed to do a reasonable job getting the wheel very close to true. However not really knowing what I am doing some spokes MAY have been overtightened etc. and I have noticed that a couple of the nipples have either split (which I replaced) or appear to have seized up. Riding home tonight I had to stop and noticed another two spokes broken. Both at the nipple - appear to be sheared off. Having looked again I can see I could just replace the nipples as the spokes are good. Although I had to bend one around another to get me home. I can see that I have reached a point where replacing ad hoc won't be productive ??!?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you bust a spoke and it goes out of true it's going to be a mission to get the tension the same on all the remaining spokes (even if you are an LBS, with all the tools) if you just replace the failed spoke. I suggest a complete rebuild. :thumbsup:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Chances are that in getting wheels back close to true you'll have ended with uneven tensions - if they weren't already.

It's the uneven tensions that cause the breakages - not overtightening. If the hub & rim are good quality it may be worth a complete rebuild. LBS round here charge £20.... + the RRP of the spokes, so it may not viable.

Suggestion - download the wheelpro book, have a read, think about whether you fancy doing the job yourself. It's not that difficult with the step by step instructions in that book.

Cyclebasket are the cheapest I've found for stainless steel double-butted spokes.

EDIT - Cross posted with Sittingduck

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

Think I need a new wheel too.

I'm looking at replacement wheels right now. (In case anyone has any suggestions
tongue.gif
) Similar in performance will be fine. Existing ones are Ritchie rim shimano deore hub) So many to choose from ??? 9 speed (i.e. 27) v brakes and black spokes to match.

I assume I'm be needing a removal tool too. Any other compatibility issues?

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

Went for rebuild in the end. Quoted about £50 all in which seems reasonable.
smile.gif

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

Went for rebuild in the end. Quoted about £50 all in which seems reasonable.
smile.gif

So they called me today to say it was ready. Went to pick it up - £13.60 please. They decided that rather than replace all the spokes (as agreed), they would replace just the two broken ones and fit a few more nipples where they looked physically broken. Got the wheel home to find the wheel is far from true (worse than before - had to let the brakes out) and some of the spokes are tight and some are very loose - will easily move more than an inch!

Am I expecting too much? How true should they be able to make it - assuming all the spokes are changed?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
So they called me today to say it was ready. Went to pick it up - £13.60 please. They decided that rather than replace all the spokes (as agreed), they would replace just the two broken ones and fit a few more nipples where they looked physically broken. Got the wheel home to find the wheel is far from true (worse than before - had to let the brakes out) and some of the spokes are tight and some are very loose - will easily move more than an inch!

Am I expecting too much? How true should they be able to make it - assuming all the spokes are changed?

Sounds like a shoot job. Tension should be fairly even and of course it should be true. Get a refund and go elsewhere.

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

Strange. Take it back and have a word then. They shouldn't be giving you back a wonky wheel.

Just to be clear, I'm probably talking 2 or 3 mm movement from the brake pads (V-brakes) as the wheel goes round. If I had just asked them to replace the 2 broken spokes, it might have been understandable. However they did replace additional nipples and charged me for "truing the wheel". They did say bring it back if not happy (when I mentioned that we agreed for all spokes to be changed)

So to confirm, if I take it back and get them to replace all the spokes, it should be almost perfect? i.e. not 2 or 3 mm out? Could they say it's as good as my rim can be?

Top Bottom