New Stockport commute - advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I've just moved to a new office and my round trip has gone from 19 miles of relatively congested heavily traffic-lighted roads to a rather quieter, but longer 28 mile round trip.

I did the run for the first time today and its much nicer - have gone from being desperate for a decent stretch without traffic-lights; to enjoying a break at the occasional red light...

Goes through the middle of Didsbury golf course and over the Mersey which gives some rather nice scenery (certainly beats the centre of Stretford!)

Sadly, its not all a bed of roses; I arrive in stockport on the A5145 and need to get to a building on the A6 about a mile south of central Stockport - which leaves me needing to cross the roads which link the A5145, A6, A560 and M60 in the least frightening way possible. Today I just went for it cyclecraft style which was OK, but am pretty sure it will be hairy on a weekday rush-hour even if I do as I did today and try and maintain 20-30mph to keep up with traffic. The homeward bound route is by far the worst.

My current routes are; in:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/manchester/532127040339580148

and home:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/manchester/582127040361029756

So, any Stockport natives with a cunning plan?

Alex

potsy

Rambler
Decent commute that,I come down Stockport road-Brinksway then through town centre going towards Bredbury.Don't like that pyramid RAB area at all,especially at rush-hour.
fossyant's your man for a better route,if he sees this.

OP
OP
amasidlover
I did wonder about dropping down from Parr's Wood on Manchester Road, then doing either Stockport Road/Brinksway or down Edgeley road - but they seem likely to be busier than the A5145 at rush hour.

biking_fox

Guru
I'd probably do , Travis brow, Georges road then A6 and the same on the return. The only downside is that it adds an extra hill, as you emerge on the 'wrong' side of the mersey an have to go up and down to go up again. However it does bypass all the nasty junctions, the few remaining ones are well traffic light controlled.

the A6 tends to be fairly reasonable as nobody turns off it, and they aren't driving very fast as there are too many jams.

potsy

Rambler
biking_fox said:
I'd probably do , Travis brow, Georges road then A6 and the same on the return. The only downside is that it adds an extra hill, as you emerge on the 'wrong' side of the mersey an have to go up and down to go up again. However it does bypass all the nasty junctions, the few remaining ones are well traffic light controlled.

the A6 tends to be fairly reasonable as nobody turns off it, and they aren't driving very fast as there are too many jams.
My least favourite road in Stockportxx(
Would agree with the route though,past Decathlon too for any last minute shopping:biggrin:

OP
OP
amasidlover
biking_fox said:

Sounds good on the way in, but on the way back doesn't it leave me going right around the M60/A5145/A560 Roundabout (Pyramid one)? Or am I missing a clever trick?

Tonight I came back through Edgeley and up Manchester Road to Parr's wood - which was pretty good apart from the M60/A560 RAB which had a huge queue leading to it and no particularly safe way to filter through.

However, aside from getting out of Stockport it is a really enjoyable commute - currently taking 1h 10 each way, but should drop that considerably once I get the hang of the route.

potsy

Rambler
Think there's a cycle path/shared path on the right hand side of the road there which may be OK.Right hand side going back towards Didsbury Road-
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...oid=VYU8D3-9Jn51P19fUFiu3g&cbp=12,301.82,,0,5
Agree about the RAB that was backed up with traffic A560/M60-Roscoes I think it is,being a shift worker I don't travel too much at busy times the latest I've been there is 5ish and it wasn't too bad then.Can get quite busy through Cheadle too but plenty of chances to filter there(just watch for peds crossing the road) have nearly come to grief a couple of times because of that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On me hols at the moment. My short route takes parts wood, then didsbury rd, then a quick left at the pyramid roundabout. I'll have a good look at your route when home as I'm on my Mobile. You will need a slightly different route each way

OP
OP
amasidlover
fossyant said:
On me hols at the moment. My short route takes parts wood, then didsbury rd, then a quick left at the pyramid roundabout. I'll have a good look at your route when home as I'm on my Mobile. You will need a slightly different route each way

That would be great thanks! At the moment I've tried a number of good options on the way in (I leave at 6.20am so all the roads are pretty quiet) - the way back is the challenge; as its getting into rush hour (4/5pm).

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Mr Bunbury

How about This? Instead of crossing the golf club, continue into Gatley and hang a left along the A560 through Cheadle? If you don't like Edgeley Rd, you can turn right down Councillor Lane at the inner end of Cheadle, just after St Cuthbbert's church. It would make the journey about a mile longer than your current trip, but it's a decent road (even if I did see someone run over there last year).

OP
OP
amasidlover
Mr Bunbury said:
How about This? Instead of crossing the golf club, continue into Gatley and hang a left along the A560 through Cheadle? If you don't like Edgeley Rd, you can turn right down Councillor Lane at the inner end of Cheadle, just after St Cuthbbert's church. It would make the journey about a mile longer than your current trip, but it's a decent road (even if I did see someone run over there last year).

Thanks for that - used that this week and its pretty good. Edgeley Road is fine, but the A560 through Cheadle (until the A34 junction) is still pretty sluggish at rush hour though. The Councillor lane route might be worth a shot though as it cuts some of that out - might try that next week.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Stockport is the most changed town I know. I lived there in the 60s and loved it but I hardly recognise it now. The road system bears no resemblance to the early days.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mr Bunbury's route is similar to the routes I use from Northenden through to Stockport. Cheadle is fine, as is through Edgeley - nice drag up to Edgeley tough.....

potsy

Rambler
fossyant said:
Mr Bunbury's route is similar to the routes I use from Northenden through to Stockport. Cheadle is fine, as is through Edgeley - nice drag up to Edgeley tough.....
Cheadle was very fine last night,traffic was queued back quite a ways,filtering was superb.Working til 4pm this week so have hit a bit of the rush hour:biggrin:

OP
OP
amasidlover
Yes, its a nice run up to Edgeley - the way home is even more fun; lucky speed limits only apply to motor vehicles :wacko:

Although its looking like we'll be moving to Gatley later this year so I'll need to find a circuitous route to work to keep the miles up!

Top Bottom