New threats to cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We all know about the risks posed to cyclists by dogs, ninjas, ninja dogs, podestrians (sic), and Hybrid cars / ERV's in stealth mode. But I have to add a new one, as of last night. Drones, with Go Pro's strapped to them. Watch out folks, they'll be coming to a park / trail near you soon. They really have got the potential to be a proper pain in the arse. Well there will be one less to worry about, in my locale now anyway.:laugh:

everything is a pain, drones, dogs, people, photographers, cyclists ....

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I hope to be getting one of these in the spring but I won't be using it near inhabited areas let alone cyclists. CAA rules are pretty clear about it.

GC

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
And here was me thinking that a drone, with flashing lights, hovering 3 feet above my head with a spotlight beam illuminating me and linked to my bike by GPS to a sensor on my helmet, would be a great safety idea!

If anyone does that, it's my idea, you are all witnesses :smile:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
And here was me thinking that a drone, with flashing lights, hovering 3 feet above my head with a spotlight beam illuminating me and linked to my bike by GPS to a sensor on my helmet, would be a great safety idea!

You're too late, it's been done. There's a drone camera you can pair with a device you wear on your wrist or on a backpack and it follows you, maintaining the same relative altitude, position and angle of view you set it up with. Designed for solo extreme skiing, snowboarding and mountain biking. I'll have a look for the link.

Edit: here it is: https://www.airdog.com/

GC

classic33

Leg End Member

Already done elsewhere.
One flies 10 feet in front of the cyclist in heavy traffic.

And I'd seen the post by Glasgow Cyclist.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You're too late, it's been done. There's a drone camera you can pair with a device you wear on your wrist or on a backpack and it follows you, maintaining the same relative altitude, position and angle of view you set it up with. Designed for solo extreme skiing, snowboarding and mountain biking. I'll have a look for the link.

Edit: here it is: https://www.airdog.com/

GC

The airdog appears to be unable to detect trees, telegraph poles etc etc, you have to preset no-fly zones. Can't see one lasting 5 minutes before it careers into an electricity pylon

Top Bottom