New to DI2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
Well I finally went and did it! After putting the same bike in my shopping basket for nearly 2 years and then wimping out, I finally went all the way :smile:

Just ordered a bike from Ribble with an Ultegra DI2 group-set.

As I've never had DI2 before I was hoping some of you guys in the know could give me some advice. Will I need to do anything with it (charging etc.) and what do I need to know about it?

rivers

How far can I go?
Well I finally went and did it! After putting the same bike in my shopping basket for nearly 2 years and then wimping out, I finally went all the way :smile:

Just ordered a bike from Ribble with an Ultegra DI2 group-set.

As I've never had DI2 before I was hoping some of you guys in the know could give me some advice. Will I need to do anything with it (charging etc.) and what do I need to know about it?

what did you get?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Yes, you will need to charge it. Doesn't take long and lasts ages between charges.

Battery hides inside the seatpost. If you need to remove the seatpost you'll need a spudger to disconnect and reconnect the wire. Same for any other wires you need to disconnect.

It's self-indexing but watch out if the rear mech hanger gets bent because the mech can end up in the rear wheel and a replacement is expensive. DAHIKT.

Avoid wearing full finger gloves because it makes the switches harder to operate as they are small and close together.

froze

Über Member
if you want the battery to last a long time, not talking about run time but rather battery life, then make sure you recharge it when it's not any lower than 25% down from full, not 25% full, in other words it would be like filling your gas tank every time it got to 3/4 full you topped it off again, anyway by doing so stresses the battery less. However when you first get the battery you need to charge it for 24 hours REGARDLESS that the green fully charge light is on, after that first initial charge then do the 25% rule.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
if you want the battery to last a long time, not talking about run time but rather battery life, then make sure you recharge it when it's not any lower than 25% down from full, not 25% full, in other words it would be like filling your gas tank every time it got to 3/4 full you topped it off again, anyway by doing so stresses the battery less. However when you first get the battery you need to charge it for 24 hours REGARDLESS that the green fully charge light is on, after that first initial charge then do the 25% rule.
Thanks froze :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Also applies to your phone too.

PlanB

Also applies to your phone too.

Not how I see it!

NiCad batteries were fully discharge and fully charge.

Lithium Ion as I am informed has say 500 charges.
Now you can charge them any way you like, but in the end you still get 500 full charges?
The only rules I'm led to believe is don't run them flat, don't store them flat & don't store them fully charged.
Don't store them too hot & best kept in a fridge in hot weather?

I don't think anyone really knows to be honest, they just go when they have had enough of life.

But charging a battery after 25% use just seems pointless to me & not what that battery was designed for?

rockpig

Über Member
Lots of fun to be had with Di2. Download the eTube Project software and plug your laptop into the USB connector on the junction box. I used it to change the switch settings so right hand is rear mech as normal but other switch is front mech to big ring, left hand is rear mech up the cassette and front mech to small ring. Basically, right hand for harder/faster, left hand for easier/slower. It's a bit like a paddle shift on a car. The mechanic in my LBS suggested I try it and it works great for me.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Lots of fun to be had with Di2. Download the eTube Project software and plug your laptop into the USB connector on the junction box. I used it to change the switch settings so right hand is rear mech as normal but other switch is front mech to big ring, left hand is rear mech up the cassette and front mech to small ring. Basically, right hand for harder/faster, left hand for easier/slower. It's a bit like a paddle shift on a car. The mechanic in my LBS suggested I try it and it works great for me.
Wow, I can see the potential benefits but I'm not sure I'm clever enough to remember what bike I'm on in the heat of the moment! :smile: (I still have a standard mechanical system on my other bikes). But, if it's that simple I might have to give it a go anyway out of curiosity :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
why would you need to? Don't they last for weeks at a time???

Depends how much you're using it. If you're doing an extreme endurance event like the Transcontinental Race, you will probably need to charge while on the road.

@fatjel - I believe some TCR riders do charge their Di2 while riding but you'd have to ask them for confirmation.

Top Bottom