New to Fixie/single speed. Need advice on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mrtoast

Mrtoast

Regular
I hope it is great, (it looks fantastic)! Let me know how you are finding it :smile:

Thanks, I am liking it a lot, the gearing is just right for me 48T, it is very light (under 10kg) the breaks are not great and will probably need an upgrade in the future.

Yazzoo

I also have a Quella - wouldn't have called it lightweight though! Mine is the Cambridge though so may be different build.

I replaced the brakes on it straight away with some Tektro's a friend had taken off theirs.

I love it, it's beautiful, but it's definitely more 'look at me, i'm a hipster off to the beard cafe' rather than the more sporty options like the Langster - more proper bike than fashion item!

I'm loving my single speed, as well as my geared bike.

SS bikes definitely have their place. I mainly use mine for short dashes in and around town, for a spontaneous ride to the pub, or off to see mates. It's quick, nimble and easy, perfect for the, "I've just got to nip out and..." moments. Saying that though, I've done several 30-60 mile rides on it and also my very first ever 100 mile ride. Ok, s that was not pretty, but that was very much down to the fitness of the rider, not the bike!

I've also got a geared road bike. This option comes out for most of my longer club rides, especially if I know I have to deal with a wider variety of hills/wind etc. For me, at least with my current low(ish) fitness levels, I think it is probably the more efficient option, especially over longer distances and varying terrain. However, it is more of a "fussy" bike, it needs more tinkering, fettling and maintenance simply because there are more parts to look after and more bits to go wrong.

For me I would not be without my SS bike. It has its limitations and the gearing I choose gives me a relatively small comfortable operating window, especially over longer distances. It's great if I use it for its appropriate function, but a geared bike offers me the wider choice of comfort window if riding distances/conditions dictate it so.

Yes, SS definitely has its place without a shadow of doubt.

J

Top Bottom