New to Fixie/single speed. Need advice on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mrtoast

Mrtoast

Regular
Sounds like you've made your mind up already but please don't chose a bike based solely on the colour, there are more important considerations^_^!

If you're new to fixed/ss I'd advise a bike with a front brake, especially for urban commuting when the unexpected has a habit of happening with alarming regularity. I can't see from the angle of the photo but if the fork is drilled with a hole to fit a brake on the green thing then defo fit one, you can always remove it later if you insist.

Can't say I've heard of the brand to be honest. My pick would be a Genesis Flyer, Spesh Langster or Fuji.I've had a Flyer since 2008 that I've repeatedly tried to kill and it just will not die. Charge Plugs are solid but heavy and I've heard too many unflattering stories of Foffa to recommend them. Just my 2p worth

As for the pedals, double sided spd's are cheap and reliable and last loads longer than spd-sl cleats, plus they do spd shoes these days that you can actually walk in that dont make it look like you've got a nappy that needs changing.

Hi, thanks for the input, the bike does come with front and back brakes, they are just not shown in the picture.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/quella-one-copper-2015/

OP
OP
Mrtoast

Mrtoast

Regular
sorry if that sounded rude, I would like peoples opinions on the bike.

Thanks

Looks like a very nice bike (to my relatively untrained eye). I like the bull horn handlebars and options for brake fitting, and especially appreciate the detail in the lugs on the rear drop outs.

I had a ride on one when I was browsing bikes the other day. Pretty good overall, but I felt that the frame was a little more rough and lumpy over the uneven road sections I rode. I think the frame steel is up to it all right, but I don't think the straight forks and thin tyres did the ride many favours?

J

PS. There was also something "odd" about the gearing. I think the 48:16 ratio was a little higher than other bikes I tried that day, most had 46 or 48 to 18t. I could not measure them at the time, but I also felt that the cranks were shorter than what I was used to. For me, this was the wrong way around - I'd rather have short cranks on a lower ratio, I'd need a longer crank to turn a higher ratio. Either way, the peddling felt like a huge effort, for not much reward.

Of course, this is just me and what I am used to. I'm guessing if you are used to flat roads and need to get some speed up then this combination might work well with you?

Just my thoughts,

J

oldstrath

Über Member
Pretty looking bike. Personally, I can't stand bullhorn bars, but that's a very personal thing. Not the greatest brake callipers, but again, depends on what you're going to do with it.

Pedals - double sided SPDs (mountain bike pedals) - easy to use, shoes are fine to walk in, indeed to spend the day at work in. Clip and strap looks prettier, but much more of a faff

OP
OP
Mrtoast

Mrtoast

Regular
Pretty looking bike. Personally, I can't stand bullhorn bars, but that's a very personal thing. Not the greatest brake callipers, but again, depends on what you're going to do with it.

Pedals - double sided SPDs (mountain bike pedals) - easy to use, shoes are fine to walk in, indeed to spend the day at work in. Clip and strap looks prettier, but much more of a faff

Thanks, I will use my shimano M520's

OP
OP
Mrtoast

Mrtoast

Regular

Thanks, The brakes I can upgrade with nit much cost if I do not like them, I will use my shimano M520's pedals as I already have shoes for them.

potsy

Rambler
Quite surprised they've got a steel frame and fork bike under 10kg, most others I've seen, for example Charge Plug seem to come in 12kg+

Spd's on all my bikes, including the single-speed, hope you enjoy the bike :okay:

OP
OP
Mrtoast

Mrtoast

Regular
I ordered the Black.

OP
OP
Mrtoast

Mrtoast

Regular
The new bike turned up today

IMG_20150807_134113145.jpg

IMG_20150807_134128179.jpg

CycleHarryCycle

HI All, first post. I am looking at getting a fixie/single speed for my commute. I am unsure what brands are worth looking at and what to avoid, I have seen bikes by charge, state, Quella, Foffa ect ect ect. I have read good and bad reviews on all.

So really I am here looking for advice from people in the know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Mrtoast,

Well, I wouldn't say that I am in the know, but I have a Pure Fix Zulu which I love and has been no trouble for me for around 5 months at the time of writing.

The others shown here look great as well, with the Quella signature in particular looking seriously good looking.

I hope you manage to find the right bike and enjoy single speeds because they are a lot of fun!

OP
OP
Mrtoast

Mrtoast

Regular
Hi Mrtoast,

Well, I wouldn't say that I am in the know, but I have a Pure Fix Zulu which I love and has been no trouble for me for around 5 months at the time of writing.

The others shown here look great as well, with the Quella signature in particular looking seriously good looking.

I hope you manage to find the right bike and enjoy single speeds because they are a lot of fun!

The black quella above is the one I bought

Top Bottom