New to the fold ... first impressions of my S6L ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm new to Bromptons, though have always admired the design and secretly long hankered after one. Problem is that I have never been able to justify the expenditure, though I did entertain the thought as an alternative plan to the Rourke custom build last year. I even took one for a test ride.
My justification now is that I will get a flight case for it and take it with m,e on my weekly overseas business trips (where I know I might have some down-time).
Whilst I was cogitating a s/h S6L came available via Fossala in very good nick. Mrs FF said yes and it duly arrived last Friday.

I thought after 35 years of drop-bar road bike riding I'd give some first impressions....

I took it on one of my regular 20-ish mile loops into and around Oxford and back:

It's a bloody clever piece of kit.
It's lighter than I expected.
You need to watch the video a few times to get the hang of the folding technique.
First ride seems very wobbly
Gears take some getting used-too
Not honking up hills takes some getting used to.
It feels over-geared for steepish hills. When drive-train wears will get a smaller chainring.
Bowling downhill and along the flat in top gear seems wrong ... it rocks and rolls a bit and takes a lot of effort due to aerodynamics or lack thereof. Again, a good reason to gear it down a bit.
You need to relax into it and go with its flow.
It felt a bit more 'exposed' riding it on empty country roads than a regular bike.
It's a slightly more 'mashing pedaling technique
SPDs are not really such an advantage
The Dynamo lighting system is just perfect though I'd add higher level blinkys for increased visibilty
The ride is great.
Ergon grips are essential
Water bottles are hard to fit
Have to remember there is no top-tube between my legs at stops ....

It's bloody fab though, grin inspiring and so much different and more characterful than a regular bike. I'm besotted :wub:
It's easy to see how these little 'clown bikes' inspire such devotion, especially for the city dweller. OK harder work on longer open roads but I can see that if you relax into its rhythm that big miles and heavy loads are well within the little bike's remit.

For my intended use, it'll be perfect for grabbing the odd hours furious riding (a good workout) after a day oif travelling or standing on the factory floor all day.

It could become my favourite bike.

A sure sign that you are a) old and b) a nobber ;)

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
First ride seems very wobbly
They are quick-steering, but you soon get used to that. I can just about ride mine no-handed. I'm told a Chris King headset improves steering stability, but I'm resisting further upgrades.

Bowling downhill and along the flat in top gear seems wrong ... it rocks and rolls a bit and takes a lot of effort due to aerodynamics or lack thereof. Again, a good reason to gear it down a bit.
You get faster as you get used to it.

Water bottles are hard to fit
There are various solutions that don't affect the fold, of which I think this is the best as it doesn't get in the way when carrying it:

6167613575_4c1609572a.jpg

Personally, I stick one in a side pocket of my bag as I don't ever ride without a bag.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One lollops along on a Brompton, it is not a bike for high cadence so no point in clipless pedals.

The gearing divides opinion, I found 'standard' on mine too high, and would have a bit lower than low if I could.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My tip would be to get rid of the sponge grips, even a cheap pair of more conventional ones make the hands feel much nicer.

I get on happily with the standard 3 speed gearing for hilly/rolling terrain, the sequencing is simple and with a weeks riding the steps between the gears becomes near-as unnoticeable.

You'll also feel less exposed and skittish with a few day riding, I throw mine about now more like a MTB than anything else now and have been completely happy with the grip from the standard pedals in Adidas Sambas (off duty footwear of choice) and happy enough in smooth soled work shoes in some quite soggy riding.

They are addictive little beasts & from a very cynical start point I'm completely hooked & still find it a hoot to ride.

StuartG

slower but further
One lollops along on a Brompton, it is not a bike for high cadence so no point in clipless pedals.
The gearing divides opinion, I found 'standard' on mine too high, and would have a bit lower than low if I could.
I fitted Shimano A530 pedals (flat one side/SPD t'other). Means I can jump on the bike in mufti or in full lycra mode. Actually in mufti - if I have time I'll change to SPD shoes as it is just a more enjoyable experience. Especially stopping and starting in traffic you can naturally raise he right pedal for a quick and fast off. Doing long distance it helps keep your feet/legs straight and focussed especially as you tire. Probably more important than on a road bike without the top tube for guidance. So if you are comfortable with SPDs on your road bike then do try the A530s on your Brompton. The only downside is the non-fold of the left pedal but then it doesn't scratch the frame either.

The 44 chain ring was the greatest upgrade for me. It does increase your cadence. It also means big hills on 3 gears is doable - especially as honking is not an option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I fitted Shimano A530 pedals (flat one side/SPD t'other). Means I can jump on the bike in mufti or in full lycra mode. Actually in mufti - if I have time I'll change to SPD shoes as it is just a more enjoyable experience. Especially stopping and starting in traffic you can naturally raise he right pedal for a quick and fast off. Doing long distance it helps keep your feet/legs straight and focussed especially as you tire. Probably more important than on a road bike without the top tube for guidance. So if you are comfortable with SPDs on your road bike then do try the A530s on your Brompton. The only downside is the non-fold of the left pedal but then it doesn't scratch the frame either.

The 44 chain ring was the greatest upgrade for me. It does increase your cadence. It also means big hills on 3 gears is doable - especially as honking is not an option.
Thanks Stuart
I found some single sided spd's languishing on another bike in need of some TLC so I whipped-em off and they great! I'm starting to think a smaller chain-ring might be necessary ....

StuartG

slower but further
I'm starting to think a smaller chain-ring might be necessary ....
Do Carmarthen to Aberystwyth with luggage without touching the A487. You will be in no doubt:
1) You do need a smaller chain ring
2) This bike will go just anywhere, anytime like no other ... and no need to book the bike in the guards van on the HST from Didcot!

The major problem I had was on long sharp bendy descents. The small rims get very, very hot and causes the brakes to squeal worse than a banshee. Its sorta embarrassing when you spend more time resting downhill than uphill :sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Do Carmarthen to Aberystwyth with luggage without touching the A487. You will be in no doubt:
1) You do need a smaller chain ring
2) This bike will go just anywhere, anytime like no other ... and no need to book the bike in the guards van on the HST from Didcot!

The major problem I had was on long sharp bendy descents. The small rims get very, very hot and causes the brakes to squeal worse than a banshee. Its sorta embarrassing when you spend more time resting downhill than uphill :sad:
Cheers! I don't plan to tackle Wales on it the moment, but I see the value. I'll see what it currently wears. It's certainly the bike for the Micro adventure!

fimm

Veteran
Why no honking? I honk my Brompton all the time - while wearing flat office shoes and general office wear.
I do notice that the toe of my right shoe gets scuffed from kicking the pedals round to the position I want them! I'm trying to get out of the habit of doing that...

Top Bottom