New to the forum, and cycling. Need some guidance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oddbot

Regular
As the title states I'm new to the forum, and usually my first post is a intro post on any other forum. but this time I thought I'd mix it up and jump right in. I've acquired a azuki from the 70's that I'd like to convert into a fixie. Unfortunately I have no idea what I'm doing. I can rebuild engines and tune cars all day long, but when it comes to this stuff I'm at a loss. So where do I start?

Here are some pictures of the bike I just brought home.
y3ujysed.jpg
y5upy6ej.jpg
y9ymavej.jpg

Any help that can be given is must appreciated.

tyred

Legendary Member
First thing, put the bars on correctly!

The simplest and cheapest way is to remove the derailleurs, cables and shifters, remove the freewheel block from the wheel, grease the threads and put on a track sprocket in it's place. If there are spare threads, fit a bottom bracket lock ring to help pevent it unscrewing. Replace the spacer on the drive sideof the axle with the relevant number of 10mm washers and then swap some over to the other side so that the sprocket lines up with your inner chainring. It will then be necessary to "re-dish" the wheel so it is central in the frame. This is done by slackening the spokes on the left and tightening the spokes on the right, about a 1/2 turn at a time.

Assuming a 42 tooth inner chainring, I would go with a 17 tooth sprocket to start with and change later if you want to alter the gearing.

Also, toe clips or clipless pedals are desireable on a fixed wheel.

You should find all the info you need here - http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

tyred

Legendary Member
How did I not see the hot rod.:wacko:

Proof that my cycle obsession is overtaking my car obsession or just failing eyesight:ohmy:

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Haha thanks but the hot rods belong to my father, I'm the black sheep who works on imports. Right now I own a pignose stock 240sx as my daily beater, then I have a first gen Mazda miata that going under the knife soon for some serious work again.
ubyvy6ah.jpg
mu7avy3u.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks a nice starting point + 1 re ditch the gears and redish/space rear wheel to give you a good chain line a simple single speeder alas not fixed , enjoy it .

you lke jap engineering i see

HovR

Über Member
Welcome to the forum Oddbot! I'm not too experienced with fixed wheel, however Sheldon Brown's site linked above is an excellent resource, especially for older bikes!

First thing, put the bars on correctly!

I tried my bars like that once after seeing a few bikes like it on the internet. First impressions were that it was a fairly comfortable sit-up-and-beg position. The brakes, however, are lethal! If you're not careful, once you brake your weight shifts forward on to the brake levers causing you to brake harder, shifting your weight further forward again until you're lying on the floor wondering what happened! :wacko:

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Welcome to the forum Oddbot! I'm not too experienced with fixed wheel, however Sheldon Brown's site linked above is an excellent resource, especially for older bikes!

I tried my bars like that once after seeing a few bikes like it on the internet. First impressions were that it was a fairly comfortable sit-up-and-beg position. The brakes, however, are lethal! If you're not careful, once you brake your weight shifts forward on to the brake levers causing you to brake harder, shifting your weight further forward again until you're lying on the floor wondering what happened! :wacko:

I'm probably going to move them down like you guys said. I like how it's a bit more streamline looking that way.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
So I got the bike stripped down and ready for the conversion. Then i cleaned it up with some simple green that did wonders, and made the paint look like new. My friend has to convinced me to get a flip flop hub so I can switch between s/s and fixie as well. Also good news the wheels are true and straight so I'm going to reuse them, unless you guys know of these wheels being prone to failure.

Here are some pics of my progress so far.
y8a7u3y9.jpg
y6egamug.jpg
aryqybyz.jpg
ysa3e9ar.jpg

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
I guess it's time to mention that and don't worry I have my flame suit on. I'm going brakeless for now unless I see that I can't handle it then ill put the original front brakes on which I kept.

HovR

Über Member
I guess it's time to mention that and don't worry I have my flame suit on. I'm going brakeless for now unless I see that I can't handle it then ill put the original front brakes on which I kept.

I'd definitely recommend having the front brake on. Under normal usage you will be able to slow yourself down just fine with the fixed gear, but if someone pulls out on you you won't be able to stop anywhere as quick as you would with a front brake. If you don't like the look of having a single road brake lever on you could always put a regular flat-bar lever on the tops of the bars (just make sure it has the right clamp diameter).

Top Bottom