New to the forum, and cycling. Need some guidance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
My girlfriend got me a stationary trainer for a late valentines day present.
usumatuj.jpg

Needless to say I'm happy as can be.

wanda2010

Guru
That girlfriend needs to be treasured ^_^:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
After a fair bit of riding I'm starting to see results. I can ride further and harder than I could when I first started. My cardio has now caught up to my muscle strength too. In April I'm riding in a event all be it a 7 mile ride I'm still going to train hard so I can give it everything ive got the whole way.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Ok I'm getting ready to upgrade my crankset and switch to a cartridge bottom bracket. But I don't know what size I need. How do I measure that so I can go ahead and order parts?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
You need to measure across the shell of the bottom bracket, note this is across the shell not the diameter. You should then have either 68mm English or 73mm Italian.

The next thing to take into account is the spindle length of the BB which effects the chain line. For example on my fixed conversion I used a 68 x 103
which was spot on for me. The longer spindle lengths say for example 68 x 122 would be used for fitting a triple crank

Take a look here for some great parts which also ship worldwide http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopchain.html Also a very good FAQ section on lots of points for fixed / single speed.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Well I spent the money and bought the parts. Had the local shop Shenandoah bicycle company do the instal and setup my chain line. I went with a shimano bb, shun cranks and chainring, origin 8 track light pedals and toe straps.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366326202.530661.jpg

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
I've done some good mileage the last few days. Sunday I did 38 miles to two different towns, Monday I went north to the next town that was 25-30 miles, then Tuesday I went to a local fishing lake which was about 20 miles. Wednesday I took a day off and today I did a short around town but got caught in a brilliant thunderstorm. Taking shelter under a school over hang I realized this Is what I need to be training for. Coast to coast is a goal I can say.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Good luck with that! Bike looks superb.

Get yourself some clipless pedals! You'll never look back.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Well it's been a week but I had a incident.
ypedumyh.jpg

e4ema7a9.jpg

I have a compound fracture to both bones in my forearm. Snapped them both lol falling from the bike when I got caught in the railroad tracks. I got two plates and 12 screws in my arm for the rest of my life.

I'm more excited to get back in the saddle than when I could ride. I even have it on the trainer right now so I can keep my legs in shape.

Top Bottom