New to the forum, and cycling. Need some guidance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Is their such a thing as a fixed multi-speed?

I believe I've heard of people creating 3 speed fixed gear bikes using Sturmey Archer hub gears, although I'm not sure on the specifics. You can't make a fixed gear bike using a traditional derailleur setup though.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
If the new saddle doesn't let you ride in comfort, a pair of padded undershorts may help in that area.

As for the Sturmey, I believe you have to be rather precise as to when you change gear, from the diagrams I saw of a previous model, it still uses epicyclic gearing internally.

Personally, I would find a suitable gear ratio & stick with that, not having to change gear is half the pleasure of riding single speed or fixed.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
I wasn't going to change the azuki from where it is now I like the way it's geared. I'm just thinking of what I would like to do down the road for my next bike. Personally I'd like to go as fast as possible on a bike and most likely I'm in the wrong section on the forum for posting these questions. Just wanted to get a General direction for which I should be going.

Also woke up this morning and my neck and legs are killing me. Going to take a Epsom salt soak and see if I feel up to riding the stationary cycle later on tonight. That and riding in 50mph winds with light rain doesn't seem appealing today lol.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Just did 8.2 miles in one go this morning. I'm convinced its a religious experience.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Another 8 miles down but it would have been more had I not been distributing HFL cards. Also stopped at the local cafe for brunch.
u9a9ytu9.jpg
u8e9eda3.jpg

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
The only item missing from the food pic above is.................... beer!!! Recovery drink don'cha no ;)

Hahaha maybe a casual one but I'd have to stop there. The biggest reason I got into cycling was to have a positive promotion of quitting vices. I used to be a heavy drinker among other things.

Also today is mid 50s with a cool breeze coming from the south :biggrin:. Going to take advantage of this.

Top Bottom