New to the forum, and cycling. Need some guidance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
is there any particular reason why the chainring (the front part by your right foot)is so small ?looks like ul b spinning like a madman ,unless uv got a 11 tooth rear sprocket it looks really small

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
The front is a 36t and the rear is a 16t. I went with this because I live in a area that is all hills. If I find my leg strength increasing and going up hills is a breeze I might change the ratio to something a little wider but for now this should do for my weak twig legs.

And my next few mods will be the ones you guys said above. A new saddle that I'm looking at, crankset upgraded to a modern model, and new pedals with the straps to hold my feet in. Then I'll leave it like that for awhile.

jim55

Guru
yeah ,that d b on my upgrade list 36*16 is roughly 60 gear inches so a bit spinny ,you should find it ok for uphills but on the descents ur legs will b a blur (hopefully )unless u control it well ,and defo foot retention someway

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Yeah I realized the second I started riding the bike that I've got a whole slew of new techniques to learn. But i catch on quick. Also riding in 25 degrees literally makes my eyes water uncontrollably.

Edit: also I really really need to work up my cardio. I'm so out of shape it's laughable.

jim55

Guru
really ,get a pair of specs ,even some safety glasses are cheap and funky looking something in ur eye as ur doing 20 mph is nothing to laugh about ,i always wear them

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Lol yeah I still have a lot of gear to acquire. But it will take time. Also need to get a red blinking thing and headlight for night riding when summer rolls around.

HovR

Über Member
Also riding in 25 degrees...

I've taken to wearing one of these on my short (but cold) winter commute. It's so warm, you guys can keep your buffs! :tongue:

Muskrat_Full_Fur_Russian_Hat_Black_2481.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
really ,get a pair of specs ,even some safety glasses are cheap and funky looking something in ur eye as ur doing 20 mph is nothing to laugh about ,i always wear them

Indeed
It's especially important to wear glasses in winter.
It's amazing at how mucky my cycling glasses are after a morning or evening commute. Dust, grit, salt sticking to the lenses.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Lol yeah I still have a lot of gear to acquire. But it will take time. Also need to get a red blinking thing and headlight for night riding when summer rolls around.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Here's some pics of my first ride. Rode a lot further than I thought I could, even tackled as massive hill and won.

uhuhepe8.jpg

geqysaju.jpg

Edit: just used map my run app for the iPhone and I did 10 miles today. That's 8 miles more than I thought I was capable. Hopefully tomorrow will be warm again and I can take advantage of the weather.

Edit edit: fastest I went was 25mph and I thought my legs were going to give out and get wrapped up in the chain. Made it through fine tho.

OP
OP
Oddbot

Oddbot

Regular
Still on my to buy list:
First things first this saddle is so uncomfortable I can not use words to describe it. Then upgrading the crank set and all the bearings in there. Pedals with something to hold my feet in. Also some repair supply's for breakdown situations.

After all of that its time for the next bike. Who knows what I'll do next.

Oddbot, nice bike you have going there. I can't add to what has already been said about where to go from here, but I just wanted to add my words of encouragement.

Top Bottom