New to touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jakemax

Hi,

Ive cycled all my life and travelled a great deal but never by bike..

Im settled in Brighton now and am really fancying doing some proper touring in the UK/europe this summer, i miss the free feeling you get when backpacking.. Currently building up my fitness (very slowly)..

The idea was i'd go off for 1 or 2 night rides at first and maybe sleep rough weather permitting.. I'd like to be off road but nothing too hectic, im riding a hybrid and want to ease myself in..

Can anyone recomend a route to start me off? They'll be two of us so should be safe enough if we can camp out somewhere a bit secluded?? Any advice would be welcome, im thinking just sleeping bag, ground sheet and small gas stove etc? Maybe a drop of scotch to send me off to sleep?

Im based in Brighton but dotn mind travelling...

Cheers in advance,

Jake = )

dragon72

Guru
Jake
Welcome to the forum!
I'm also in Brighton. Don't forget France is only a few hours away if you take the train to Newhaven and sail to Dieppe (about £25 return avec vélo). Just after the Easter weekend I did a cheeky 3-day tour. Read about it here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=5098&v=1y
Couldn't have been easier.

OP
OP
J

Jakemax

re

Thanks mate,

Looks amazing and so cheap!!!! Right up my alley..

So you just eat in local places and dont bother carying a stove etc.. Sounds like a plan..

I might get myself a map and head off soon, just wana check up on campsites etc..

Cheers tho..

J

andym

Über Member
dragon72 said:
Jake
Welcome to the forum!
I'm also in Brighton. Don't forget France is only a few hours away if you take the train to Newhaven and sail to Dieppe (about £25 return avec vélo). Just after the Easter weekend I did a cheeky 3-day tour. Read about it here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=5098&v=1y
Couldn't have been easier.

Erm you both live within a short bike ride of Britain's newest National Park!!!!!! Seriously, what is there in Northern France to compare with the South Downs?

Jakemax you could consider the South Downs Way - it's doable on a hybrid provided the chalk isn't too wet.

Alternatively there's the Downs Link. Further afield there's the Isle of Wight or the New Forest or Isle of Purbeck. There's also a decent ride along the coast from IIRC Hastings to Herne Bay mostly off road.

PS I couldn't find a return from Newhaven to Dieppe for less than £40 - still a fair bit cheaper than Brittany ferries.

dragon72

Guru
You're spot on, the South Downs are glorious.
But the food and the ladies are tastier across the channel. But I'm biased, being an ultra-francophile French teacher.
>£40 for Newhaven to Dieppe!!!!???? Where do you get your quotes from?
I just checked on http://www.transmancheferries.co.uk/ and the fare range they quoted was £24 - £28 return for a bloke and a bike for a 4 day break during the week when the schools are on late-May half-term.

andym

Über Member
dragon72 said:
You're spot on, the South Downs are glorious.
But the food and the ladies are tastier across the channel. But I'm biased, being an ultra-francophile French teacher.
>£40 for Newhaven to Dieppe!!!!???? Where do you get your quotes from?
I just checked on http://www.transmancheferries.co.uk/ and the fare range they quoted was £24 - £28 return for a bloke and a bike for a 4 day break during the week when the schools are on late-May half-term.

I got my prices by taking dates at random through June and July. I get £32 for Newhaven-Dieppe going out on Friday the 22nd and coming back on the 25th. Very good value but not as cheap as you're making: out I think ''from £25' would have been the more accurate way of putting it.

Cost of cycling from Brighton to the South Downs precisely zip, nada.

OP
OP
J

Jakemax

thanks for the advice guy's.. Im not too worried if it's £32 or £25... hehe

Im gona check out the south downs though, youve been a great help..

J

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cheers Dayvo and welcome Jakemax. My new blog is of Belgium below. I read your account (and posted on your guestbook) dragon72. Very entertaining.

Coincidentally, my son has just phoned me for advice about a 4 day tour from Dieppe with his mates. I'll point him towards dragon's write-up.
The SDW is a great route but some tough climbs and much better on an MTB.

OP
OP
J

Jakemax

Hi Dragon 72,

Got my ticket booked to Dieppe for early July.. Im follwing your route for the first day..

Thanks a million for your help, I cant wait!!

BTW- £26 return!

Top Bottom